asylum - sixteen

"He's starting to press a lot of buttons and it's triggering," Chenle hisses. "He dared to tell Sir Yoon to spy on us on behalf of him? Fucking bastard."

  Jisung taps the older's shoulder. "No cusses."

  Chenle glares, stabbing the butter knife into the bun. "I'll do more than that."

  Jisung suddenly rushes to the shelves of their playroom and takes out a notebook. He flips to a page where there are drawn many bubble-like circles. He then, takes out a yellow colour pencil to shade one.

  "What's this?" Jaemin asks.

  Jisung points at the first bubble at the very far left. "This is a mood board and this is the first mood. Each bubble presents a day and each colour presents an emotion. Today, Chenle's mood is a yellow."

  His eyes are round and his adorable manner shows.

  "What's yellow for?" Jeno joins- chin resting on the armchair as he stares at the youngest brother.

  Jisung glances at Chenle. "Yellow is bad. Yellow is moody and upset. It's a warning. The more yellow flowers there are, the closer he is to orange and finally, red."

  "Red?" Hyuck questions, flipping his phone boringly.

  The youngest glances at Chenle again who is sulking and silently grumbling while laying on his stomach, sprawled on the carpet.

  A devilish grin stretches on Jisung's face. "Red means kill day."

- - -

  Zhen looks at Lien who's sitting on the couch, watching their favourite show on television. "You've been rubbing your arms over and over again. Is it cold? Do you want me to turn off the air-cond?"

  "No, it's fine. I just can't shake off this feeling. It's weird," Lien says, a worried look on her face.

  "Someone's watching," Xing suddenly, whispers when she goes out of the rooms hallway. Her eyes dart to the sliding glass doors of their balcony.

  The living room turns dead silent and the air becomes heavy and cold. Xing is the most playful of them, but her instincts are always right, in one way or another. 

  Three of them now have their eyes on the balcony but see nothing except, for the light sways of the curtains from the wind.

  Suddenly, the eerie, bothered sensation fades and everything returns to normal.

  "But then again, maybe I'm overreacting. It's probably, nothing," Xing speaks, shrugging it off.

  Of course, none of them think that it's nothing. Because they surely felt something.

  "What's for dinner?" Zhen asks to rid off the unwelcoming feel. "Uncle Joon is eating with us, right? Let's ask what he wants to eat."

  But just as Lien is about to text, their uncle sends a message saying that he won't be having dinner with them due to a sudden task.

  The girls sigh since he's been really busy these past few days but, are understanding since he's a police officer.

  It makes them wonder what case he's working on.

  Meanwhile, their uncle is hiding in his car, behind a big tree with Yoon Bak.

  The view of the seven brothers' mansion is easily seen in front of them even though they're in stealth mode.

  "Why are you even doing this? This is breaking the rules. If you get caught, you're gonna get in trouble. So am I. But, you'll have it worse because you're a police," Yoon Bak rambles.

  Tae Joon squints his eyes at the mansion, trying to look through. "I heard rumours from the school that they were patients once, from an asylum. That rumour won't randomly appear for no reason."

  Yoon guffaws. "Asylum patients? HAHAHAH, you're the one who sounds like you need to be put in! Don't you have their data or anything?"

  "I do but, they're clean. Nothing. Spotless and I don't buy it. They're the sons of a former, globally renowned CEO but, since that fire accident, he died and so did the wife. Only the seven brothers made it out. Maybe, that accident gave them a trauma."

  Yoon Bak sighs. "Then, what? They got traumatized and became murderous psychos? Logically thinking, they should most probably only have a phobia of fire and not turn into serial killers."

  "You just don't get it. They are friends with my nieces. They could be a potential threat to the well-being of them. Jaemin knows about the cuts, isn't that weird?" Tae Joon brings up.

  "They're just kids. Besides, maybe after the case closed, word of her death condition might've been released. You're probably just being paranoid. These seven boys are good kids, the whole school knows that," Yoon convinces.

  Taejoon grumbles before reluctantly giving in. "Fine. I'll trust your words for now. Come on, I'll treat you to dinner."

  He presses the pedal and starts to drive away.

  The headlights shine in the dark night and Mark watches the car rushing past their mansion.

  His brows twitch in annoyance and he abruptly hurls the pen in his hand towards the plastic, life-sized head mannequin on his desk.

  The pen stabs right into its eye as Mark trembles in rage.