asylumㅡ twenty five

"Xing, are you okay? We have to eat breakfast before school. Or, do you wanna stop by the cafe?" Her twin asks, noticing how inert her sister is as she lays supine.

  Mei Xing weakly casts her eyes on her and sits up. "I don't want to go to school. Can I just, just stay here?"

  Lien furrows her brows, worried. "Are you sick? But, your temperature is normal. Still, if you feel sick, you can just rest at home."

  Xing clenches her sheets, not knowing what to actually choose and just looks down. "I'll just go to school."

  "Alright, then. We can go home early later if you still feel sick. We're gonna go to the hospital today, visit uncle and bring fresh socks."

  The twins head to their uncle's room and the older one searches for the things they want to bring while Xing is wandering around wearily.

  She notices the messy state of her uncle's desk and leafs through the sheets.

  Files, old reports, etc. But then, her eyes catch a glimpse of a picture. A picture of someone strangely familiar.

  Her hand reaches and slides it from under the file. Jisung?

  Baffled, she searches the other papers more and finds the other six siblings' pictures as well.

  Seven of them connected with a sheet of profile paper.

  Mei Xing reads the words and feels her heart race at one fact.

  Was previously put in asylum for...

  "What?" She whispers to herself. She puts them all away when she spots a yellow lined memo pad with scribbles on it.

  On it is a mind map about Seolla's death. A story the three sisters know about.

  She was previously a student in the three sisters' current school and was labelled dead due to suicide but it was in fact, murder.

  Had open cuts all over her body but, this was kept confidential because this would disclose the truth of her being murdered.

  No one knows, only the girl's family and a very small number of officers.

  But, Jaemin knows???

  How does he know? Was he involved??

  The last part is encircled over and over again using a red marker and Mei Xing suddenly feels her legs shake and she quickly grabs onto the chair.

  "What are you doing, sis?" Mei Lien's voice breaks her off her thoughts.

  The younger one feels her breath hitch and she shakes her head while inconspicuously covering up all the documents regarding the brothers. "Nothing, just messing around with the papers. Let's go eat. I'm hungry."

  Mei Lien nods and walks out, not knowing the amount of energy her sister had to use just to hide the shiver of her voice and the strength of her feet to keep standing.

  As soon as she's out of sight, Xing stares on the desk again, frightened as her thoughts stir into a big pile of indecipherable squiggly lines.

  Why is their uncle researching about them? What does he want to know? Who are they even? Criminals?

  Xing feels helpless and she drops onto the chair. What can she do?

  Surely, no one will believe her if she said she saw Chenle and Jisung brutally murdering Seojun during recess.

  Because even she has a hard time believing it.