asylumㅡ forty seven

Lien twists around as she lies down- her moment of rest interrupted by her spinning thoughts.

  "Shoot, I forgot my money! Does anyone else have any spare change?" Lien asks, looking at the rest. Everyone shakes their heads- having spare change but barely sufficient for even a drink.

  Jaemin wordlessly slides his ramen cup to her.

  She looks at him and passes it back. "No, it's okay. I wasn't really that hungry anyway—"

  A low growl emits from her stomach and the rest stifle their laughs, some already sputtering them out like a broken engine.

  "We'll share then," Jaemin says and they take turns slurping the noodles- Jaemin barely taking any for himself whenever it's his turn.

-

  "Ah!" Mei Lien lets out in shock and pain when her finger grazes against the hot, boiling test tube.

  Jaemin quickly rushes over- worry painted on his face as he eyes the red finger. He hastily puts it under running cold water before slowly blowing against it, soothing her nerves.

  He lifts his head- eyes meeting hers and he smiles. "It'll be okay now."

-

  "Like, the heck am I so clumsy for? I'm the Shin Mei Lien. I'm supposed to be the sass queen among my siste- wOAH!" She trips and her knees grate against the stone path.

  She hisses at the fresh, bleeding scratches. "That's it, I'm wearing an armour. Do you think they sell any on Ebay?"

  Jaemin chuckles and goes on his knees. He fishes out a multi band aid package from his backpack and picks the square ones before concealing her knee cuts gently.

  "Since when did you have those?" Lien gapes.

  "Since you kept getting hurt," Jaemin scoffs. "And, don't hate yourself for being clumsy because at least, it'll give me an excuse to stay with you."

  Mei Lien jolts awake and massages her temple at the sudden wave of flashbacks. Why? Why now?

  She looks around for her sisters when Xing appears in front of her, tilting her head.

  "You look scared," Xing comments. "Of what?"

  Her twin holds their eye contact before shaking her head. "Nothing."

  "Are you ready to go?"

  Mei Lien nods- standing. "Yeah."

  Mei Xing and Zhen watch her steady herself before stepping away- instantly addling Lien.

  "Wait, where are you two going? You're heading the opposite way."

  Xing and Zhen turn to her. "We're heading back home."

  The middle sister furrows her brows. "Home? You mean, their house? No! That is not home! Home is back at our real house! With mom, dad, grandmama and grandpa!"

  The oldest swivels, figure completely facing her and she stares at her with blank eyes- indiscernible. "Do you really think they care about us? Don't you think they should've found us by now?"

  "Maybe, it's hard to—"

  "Or, maybe you're the one who didn't think of it. No, you don't want to think of it. But, deep down, you know. You're mad at them for not being here, aren't you? You know they're the ones to blame," Mei Xing adds.

  They're rightㅡ no, no, no, they're not!

  Lien vigorously shakes her head. "No, stop! STOP THIS! YOU'RE MANIPULATING ME! YOU'RE BEING JUST LIKE THEM!"

  "That's where you're wrong. We're not manipulating. We're telling the truth," Zhen says. "You think that way too."

  Do I?

  "You seriously want to go back to them after what they did to us?!" Lien bursts and aims her glistening eyes to Zhen. "You! Look at what they did! Look at your arm!"

  "It wasn't their fault," Xing says- no hint of distress whatsoever. As if they're having a normal conversation. "All they did was teach us a lesson. We're the ones who didn't listen."

  I'm the one who didn't liste- No, NO!

  Lien whimpers and screws her eyes shut- knuckles white and nails digging into her bleeding palm.

  "They cared for us. If they find out that you're out here, trying to run away from them, what do you think will happen?" Zhen asks. "Jaemin will be so sad."

  Do you even think you can make it? What if they find you? What if there's nothing? Do you even think you can have a normal life anymore? They'll be so sad. You're leaving Jaemin behind. Do you even want to?

  Mei Lien hears the chaos in her mind- voices whispering more and more unanswered questions and leading to being overwrought.

  Breaths are unstable as tears stream down her face.

  Renjun walks out the kitchen, a glass of water in hand when a noise catches his attention.

  He ambles to the source and swings the door open- a content grin stretches.
"Welcome back."