Eight

Ethan's POV

As soon as we got into Emma's apartment and our shoes were off, I gently lifted her over my shoulder and took her into her bedroom.

She was giggling at my actions which made me smile as I softly placed her down on the bed.

"Which side do you sleep on, Ethan?"

"Whatever side is next to yours."

"You are something else." She said, smiling at me as I walked over to the other side of the bed and sat down. "What are you doing over there? I don't bite, you know." She teased. I smiled at her before gently pulling her towards me.

I laid down, and she put her head on my chest, which allowed my arm to wrap around her. She put her arm over my bare stomach, and her thumb was moving back and forth on my side.

"Man, I forgot how nice it is to cuddle." She said.

"Luke didn't cuddle with you?"

"Not in a while. We would usually just have sex and then pass out. He would usually be gone for work by the time I woke up the next morning."

"I'm sorry that he treated you like that. You're worth so much more than how he treated you."

"It was partly my fault."

"Emma, you can't blame that on yourself."

"No. I was the one who kept staying. I let him treat me like that. The worst battle I've ever fought was between what I knew, and what I was feeling. He convinced me that I was in love with him. I'm still processing it all, and I'm trying not to let it break my heart."

"Emma, it's okay to have feelings about the whole situation. No one is gonna blame or fault you for how you feel or if you're not ready to move on yet. You can't keep the feelings you feel inside. It'll only make it worse later on. You know that you can always talk to me, and you have a great group of people here that care so much about you, and even your brother. He'd be here in a second if he knew you needed him."

"I guess I should take some time to grieve over the relationship." She said, sitting up. "I think you should go."

"If there's anything I can do for you, Emma, please let me know. I want to be here for you through this. Okay? We don't have to go to the baseball game tomorrow if you don't want to."

"Can we take a rain check?"

"Let me know when you're ready, okay?"

She nodded her head, a tear falling from her eye.

"Hey." I whispered. She looked at me. "Everything is gonna be okay."

"Thank you, Ethan."

I got up from the bed before she hopped up and gave me a hug. I kissed the top of her head.

"Seriously. Text or call anytime you need. I'm here for you."

"See you soon, Ethan." She responded, letting go of me.

I walked out of her apartment, and as soon as the door was shut and I was out of her view, the feelings I were holding back let loose. And my heart sank to my stomach as I walked back to my place.

-
Emma's POV
The Next Day

"Hi, Heather. Hey, Brooke." I said as Luke's mom and sister stepped into my apartment.

"Hi, Emma." Heather said, giving me a hug. "Thank you for letting us come get his things. I'm so sorry about everything."

"If you need anything, I'm here for you, Em." Luke's sister Brooke said, also giving me a hug.