42

(Y/N POV)

How will I know?

My heart was pounding so fast, it was the only thing I could hear as I ran down the hallway. It's deafening sound blocked out all the horrible thoughts running through my head, but that wasn't any better.

"Ned, do you have visuals on mysterio yet?" I begged, my eyes beginning to blurr.

"It says he's in the building, but none of my facial recognition softwares are picking anything up."

"O-okay," I stammered, unable to breathe, "please find him as fast as you can."

As soon as I got to the kitchen, I almost collapsed when I saw the glass. The whole place looked horrible, shards littering the floor. It hurt to even think about what Peter was going through, watching helplessly as Beck broke down the barrier.

"Happy," I mumbled, "we need to initiate a lockdown."

"Everyone has been evacuated," the man explained, "I've got security checking the cameras as we speak."

"I left my phone in my room," I said, patting the sides of my dress, "search every floor of the tower."

"Of course, Y/N."

I could sense the fear in Happy's voice as well, and it made my heart burn even more. I flipped the emergency switch in the elevator, and alarms started to blast all around the tower. I ran as fast as I could through the doors, praying that Peter was in our room safe and sound.

But that hope disappeared when I realized that my room was empty. It seemed darker and colder than usual, and goosebumps trailed along my bare skin as I shook nervously. Grabbing my phone, I quickly changed out of my dress and ran back out of the room.

As I hurried towards the elevator, I tried my best to open my phone. My palms were sweaty with fear, and I could barely hold the phone since I was shaking.

CALLING PETER PARKER!

Come on Peter, pick up.

. . .

I need to know that you're safe.

. . .

Please.

"Y/N!"

My heart dropped. I knew I was only calling out of hope, but to hear his voice on the other side of the call seemed unreal. The elevator doors slid open, and I pressed the phone closer to my ear.

"Peter!" I yelled, "where are you, are you hurt?"

"I'm okay! Why is the alarm going off?"

"Because you're missing! Where are you?"

"I'm okay! You locked me in the kitchen, but Adaki got me out."

"Adaki?"

"Yeah, she was walking past when I was banging on the door. Since you locked the thing, the only way to get me out was to break the glass."

"Are you kidding me, Peter? I needed you to be away from danger! Where are you?"

"I'm in the hall of armor, don't worry, I'm okay!"

"No, it's not okay, Peter," I fumed, my arms waving in anger, "Listen, Beck is somewhere in this tower, and he wants to hurt you. Do what I say, and lock the doors."

"I can defend myself, Y/N. promise."

"You aren't listening to me! Lock. the. Doors."

"I'm capable to taking care of myself-"

"Lock them," I said through gritted teeth, hanging up on the call.

I walked out and towards the lab, my nerves still weak from my previous panic episode. Ned was hacking away at the keyboard, furiously scanning the screen for data.

"He's in the hall of armor," I said, tossing my phone on the desk, "how can someone be so oblivious!"

"Let me guess," he said, not glancing up from his work, "he thinks he can still fight Beck?"

"Exactly!" I complained, "he has no regard for his safety, and it frustrates me!"

"Understandable."

"But the worst part is, that he doesn't listen!. I am trying to keep him safe, and he just shoves me away like I don't know what I'm talking about! I was the one who watched him die, Ned, and I had to literally bring him back to life."

"Maybe he doesn't fully grasp the concept that he's not ready to be Spider-man?"

"I don't know, it doesn't matter! I'm going to have a conversation with him when this is over, but the first priority is finding Mysterio."

"About that, you're going to want to see this," Ned said, sitting up straight.

He pointed at the screen, obviously on edge. I leaned over quickly, and looked for the array of red dots.

Except now there was only one.