34

(Y/N POV)

Oh, I know.

Peter told me to stop worrying, at that he's going to be fine.

But how the hell could I not worry?

I've had too much anxiety over the past few years, and this was just the cherry on top. It made my stomach knot up just to think that my dad had to go through this everyday of his life.

I was nothing compared to him.

I dropped my wrench to the floor and let my head hit the table in front of me. I was tired, and I didn't want to be awake at the moment. But I had to be, if I was going to figure out how to stop mysterio.

"Ethan, can you scan for Beck's dna?"

"I'm not sure what you mean by that."

"Search for him? Sense his presence in NYC?"

"I am afraid I still do not understand."

"I don't know! I just- just need to find him! Is there anything you could do?"

"I am afraid I cannot. Quinten Beck's DNA files have not been tracked."

I slumped even more than I already was. I wanted to sink into the floor and not come back until all of this has passed over. However, I don't think that will ever be possible, so I have to resort to fixing this problem.

"Think," I scolded myself, banging my head repeatedly against the desk, "come on, think of something!"

"I have a suggestion."

"Yes, Ethan?"

"As much as I have been able to gather, you have only heard his voice when you were alone."

"I mean, that's given."

"But why would that be?"

"Listen, Ethan, I appreciate it, but I have no idea!"

"I will inform you of other deductions, miss Stark."

"Alright, thank you."

I sat up, and took a deep breath. I just needed to clear my head, that's it! Maybe a stroll around the garden landing would be good for my nerves. I silently left the room, and made my way to the elevator.

The tower was eerily silent, which reminded me of the time I was stuck in an alternate world with Stan. Chills ran down my body as I thought about the conversation we had, about plot lines and what not.

Am I really just a character?

If I was, shouldn't everything already planned out for me then? I might have changed the story, but the story has to be written by someone, nevertheless. I strode out of the elevator, and walked through the doors and onto the deck.

It was breezy, so I tugged my cardigan tighter around my chest. The blinking lights of the city seemed like fireflies in the night, lighting up the world for people to see. I reached out a hand, and pretended to catch one.

Of course It didn't really work, because the light was just an office in a building. Sometimes I wish I could do stuff like that, because it would make the impossible seem possible.

"Ethan, play SUGAR by Brockhampton," I said.

I heard the steady beat echo out from the speakers, and I let the music surround me. For a couple seconds the city noises disappeared into the background, and it was just me and the lyrics.

"Spending all my nights alone," I muttered along, "waiting for you to call me."

"You're the only one I want, by my side, when I fall asleep."

I opened my eyes to see Peter standing in front of me. I guess I was too distracted to hear his footsteps, but I shrugged it off.

"You know this song?" I asked, smiling.

"I've heard it on TikTok."

"Right... I won't question that. What are you doing up here?"

He smirked, and ran a hand through his hair, "I guess I just want to be near you."

"Near me?"

"I like being around you, Y/N, if I hadn't made that obvious when I asked you out."

"Actually," I laughed, "I was the one to ask. You were too scared."

"Nervous is a better word, but who could blame me? I was such a timid teenager, gosh!"

"Is it cliche to say I miss those days?" I said softly, my eyes fluttering to the ground between us.

"No," Peter assured, "I miss them too. I just try not to think about them as if they were only in the past."

"What does that mean?"

"I guess it means that I'd rather look at us as one big story, instead of individual moments. You are my past, present, and future."

I suddenly remembered the vision I saw in the quantum realm. The baby girl in Peter's arms. The girl that didn't look like me.

Was I really his future?

_

dang I just figured out how I want to end this book

hehe this is going to be good....