23

(Y/N POV)

Hello.

She just fell from the sky.

That isn't possible.

She can't be possible either.

And what's all this?

A suit. From Tony.

How did she get it?

I'll ask him.

My back hurt.

Maybe more than my back hurt. My whole body.

I heard voices around me, all of them speaking in hushed tones. They sounded familiar, in a bad way. Voices that had been stored in the back of my mind for such a long time, I forgot the way they sounded.

She's awake.

well, her eyes don't look open.

Steve, they don't have to be open to be awake.

Why would she pretend to be sleeping?

Because she fell from the sky, maybe?

My brain shut down in panic. Steve... Steve Rogers? And an overly sarcastic voice. Must be Nat. Where was I? I could see the bright lights above streaming through my eyelids, and I had to resist the urge to rub them. I was exhausted.

We should tell Tony

Are you kidding? No.

This is his daughter!

We don't know that for sure!

"Uhhh..." I groaned, fluttering my eyes open, "I am."

Taking everything in was hard. I felt like I was shot back into the deepest darkest part of my memory. Except for the fact that everything here was real. I almost gasped at the dirty blond super soldier in front of me, suddenly remembering how much I liked him.

Wow.... he looks great.

Nat was looking great too. Her hair was back to her dramatic red color, one of my favorite styles.

"That makes this a hell of a lot worse to tell Tony," Steve said quietly into Nat's ear.

"She can hear you, Steve," the woman said, frowning.

"But I'm telling the truth."

"Shut it soldier," Nat said, peering over me, "where did you come from, Y/N?"

It was going to be hard looking at them like this. I felt like I shouldn't be here. So out of place. Should I tell them the truth? Where was Loki?

"2035," I stuttered, "the future."

"You sure look like it," Steve cut in, "you look just like him-"

"Steve," Nat hissed, "time travel isn't possible."

"It is," I explained, "I'm here to stop you guys from-"

I shut my mouth. I couldn't tell them they were dead in my dimension. I already messed things up by landing straight into the tower, and I wasn't supposed to let them see me. And Loki was nowhere to be found.

"She came here with Loki," the man said, "she could be working from the other side."

"Once again, she's sitting right there."

"Where is he?" I asked, "I promise you he isn't bad."

"Locked him up. Bad doesn't describe him in the least."

I shuddered. Of course. This was 2012. Loki's terrible reign over New York. I stood up, before Steve stopped me in my tracks. His arm was gripping my shoulder, and he sighed.

"Not so fast," he said, "we need to ask you some questions."

"I can't answer them. Telling you what happens in the future could hurt us all."

"Then how can you prove you're from the future?"

I stared at him blankly. I should have thought about this, why didn't I? I'm so incredibly stupid! I glanced through the glass windows to my left, and saw a stream of people walking about. The tower seemed so different...

Then he walked in.

The universe must be on my side this time, since it sent him straight into my favor.

"Coulson," I blurted out, "him."

Nat and Steve turned to look at the S.H.I.E.L.D agent, who was utterly confused. His eyes were widened and he almost dropped the papers in his hand.

"What about him?" Steve asked.

"In his pocket are 24 vintage Captain America trading cards," I stated, "he collected them as a kid, and didn't-- doesn't-- have the courage to ask you to sign them."

Coulson stepped back uneasily, and Steve looked bewildered.

"Agent," Nat asked, "is this true?"

Coulson's hands were shaking as he reached into the top pocket of his suit He pulled out the set of cards I was talking about, and held them out.

"Yes.." he muttered, "I've never told anyone about them..."

I smiled, "is that enough proof?"

"They're just trading cards," Steve said, "how does that prove anything?"

"I would have had to be close to Agent Coulson to know this," I explained, "and in the Tower. The daughter of Tony Stark has access to all that stuff."

Coulson turned to leave, shoving the cards in his pocket silently.

"Phil," Steve said, holding out his hand, "I'll sign them."

*****

"She has a point, Steve," Nat said, "we should talk to Fury."

I had been moved from the medical room to the conference room. I hadn't seen anyone else I knew, but maybe that was for the better.

"We should talk to Tony," he said.

"Fury would know what to do."

"This is Tony's daughter!"

"Who's supposed to be dead!"

Those words rang out like a knife in the room. Everyone was silent, painfully silent.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

Nat lowered her eyes, and sighed, "You-- well the you in this world-- died last year. The Mandarin attacked your father's house, and you were killed in the explosion. Your dad wasn't there in time to save you."

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't say anything at all. I was dead? It explained why everyone was so shocked to see me. To see I had grown up. But one thing was for sure... something I didn't want to admit.

Wherever I was, it definitely was not the past.