LXII

•••

It wasn't ordinary for the attendants to gather in the common room, as seeing how they have duties to do and princes to check upon. The time to rest and be lax was thin and rare. So when the maids and servants saw them all entering the room, they knew it wouldn't be good.

As the door slammed shut, they expected screaming to ensue, with how Sicheng had a dark look in his eyes, Taeyong frowning so hard it doesn't suit his face, Doyoung remained emotionless while the rest where in a nervous daze.

Everyone was gathered yet scattered around, Renjun was sitting on the couch, fidgeting with their fingers. Jungwoo on the adjacent seat with them. Doyoung was settled near the window, leaning back so he can see everyone, Ten and Taeyong stood next to each other, glancing at Sicheng who called them to meet, blocking the door.

They stayed like that for a while, cautiously fleeting their gazes at each other, the atmosphere was thick and heavy. Doyoung breaks it, sighing heavily as he puts his hand on his hip, glaring at them. "Is no one going to speak? I have to attend Prince Wonwoo if none."

Taeyong darts his eyes to the chinese male, raising a brow at his actions, Sicheng was always the quiet and reserved one, composed despite the pressure and keeps his opinions to himself. To say it surprised him when he growled lowly at Doyoung from moving in his place is an understatement.

"Don't." He says commandingly despite the softness of his usual voice. Doyoung stays, poise going rigid, flashing him a threatening glare back. Ten turns to him with a calm approach, "Cheng-ah. What's going on?"

"Its happening." Sicheng murmurs, loud enough for them to hear. They all incline their heads to him curiously while Renjun abruptly stands from his seat, eyes going wide, as he stutters out, "It wasn't a coincidence?"

"No. I don't think so." Sicheng slumps further into door, the knob digging painfully on his backside but he ignores it, looking at his fellow attendants.

"What are you on about, Sicheng?" Taeyong furrows his brows, not understanding what the two are talking. The latter reaches out and grips his wrist, nails impaling on his skin, his eyes were glassy as he tries to communicate with his stare.

"Hyung, have you forgotten?" Renjun asks, his voice was weak as he keeps on his wringing his fingers.

"Forgotten what?" Taeyong counters, pitch rising as he is getting annoyed at them. "What is it?"

A hand clamps on his shoulder and he finds Ten giving him a look as to not scare the younger. He tries to retort back when the younger speaks first, downcast and sullen. "Prince Seungkwan, and now, Prince Minghao." The grip tightens as he sniffs, swallowing thickly, "Next is Prince Jihoon."

Taeyong stiffens, the air suddenly thin as he was hit by the realization of what they were trying to say, he staggers back, disbelief coloring his features. "T-that's impossible."

When no one answers, he scoffs to the side, dismissing the discussion with a wave of his hand, feigning nonchalance. "It can't happen. The queen made sure of it."

"How sure are you, Taeyong?" Doyoung speaks from his place, his glare set on him.

"Are you doubting his Highness?" He counters, a tick on his forehead at the accusation thrown at him.

"We never knew what you were doing with the queen, Taeyong. She trusted you with all of it but not us." Doyoung strides in front of him, unblinking as the latter avoids his gaze. "How would we know what you are doing is according to the plan?"

"Are you implying it is my fault?" He levels him with the same intensity, not backing down.

"I'm implying it will be your mistake," Doyoung spats, "again."

Ten immediately holds Taeyong by the waist, as Jungwoo puts himself in the middle, cutting their argument with a pleading look. "Hyungs, please. Now is not the time to discuss this."

Sicheng grabs him by the elbow, shaking his head, "The princes are our priority."

Renjun nods, holding onto Doyoung by the arm, calming the older. "We need to do something, hyung. Fighting won't help."

They glare at each other before Taeyong looks away first, combing a hand through his hair in frustration. "All of you need to do is stay close with the princes." He points to Renjun and Sicheng, "especially you two. Don't let them find out. Keep it low." They nod at his request.

He turns to Ten, giving him a complacent smile, "Stick close to Prince Jihoon, don't let Prince Soonyoung be wary of your presence. I know he and Prince Seungcheol are doubting us."

Taeyong inhales, nodding at them. "Some of you, please keep an eye on Prince Jeonghan. I need to find out why the Queen's plan isn't working."

That would have been the end of it as they murmur agreements, but Doyoung open his mouth again, voice laced heavily with spite, "On your own? How can we trust you with it, Taeyong?"

"When will you let it go, Doyoung? Its been years."

Doyoung lets out a laugh, humorless and empty, eyes boring into his. "You sound like you don't care, huh. I should've knew it."

"Please, Doyoung. I don't want to argue with you."

"Now you don't want to?" He mocks, jabbing a finger into his chest, he winces at the blunt tip of his nail hitting him. "Where's the Taeyong that argued with me when I clearly told you 'no'? When I pleaded to you to not let him go?" Doyoung smiles lividly, "We have all the time to throw words at each other."

Taeyong feels himself go weak, regret coursing down as he hangs his head low, "Please, stop."

"Funny." Doyoung says, the glint in his eyes tell otherwise. "Now you're the one telling me to stop, saying please." He ignores Jungwoo's mumbles of 'hyung' beside him, clinging tighter on his arm.

"I'm sorry, Doyoung. I really am–"

"I don't need your sorry. I want him back." He growls lowly, "Did you listen to me when I pleaded to you back then? Have you considered what would I feel before? I hope you're happy that you've succeeded. You even had the audacity to smile at me while I was mourning for my loss."

"Doyo–"

"Stop! All of you." Jungwoo hiccups, tears dribbling down his cheeks, as he looks up to them. "Doyoung hyung, let it go already." He pleads, burying his face on his shoulder. "I lost Taeil hyung too, he was my older brother, my family. He sacrificed himself for the sake of this kingdom, hyung. He did it for all of us."

Doyoung deflates, the tightness in his chest hurts doubling, as he reaches for Jungwoo, drying his tears with his sleeves.

"Taeyong hyung has no fault in this. It was hyung's decision."

The older shakes his head at his words, "No. It is. I should've went instead. If only I wasn't a coward, it would've been me. Taeil hyung would still be here."

Jungwoo twines his fingers on Taeyong's wrist, "If Jaehyun hyung hears that, he would be sad. Stop blaming yourself, hyung."

Ten surges forward, linking his fingers with Renjun and Sicheng, as they envelop them into an embrace, trying to lighten up the situation. And it worked as they giggled at the silliness of it. Doyoung reaches out and gives him a small, gentle smile. Taeyong returns it back.

"Let's go?"