XLVIII

•••

"Hyung? I thought we were going to the forest?" Soonyoung asks as he dismounts from his horse, staring curiously at the older, busy tying the rope on one of the stands.

"Change of plans." He says simply, motioning for the other to do the same.

Seungcheol decided to help the younger alpha to search for clues that could help them find the culprit. His first step is to locate stores that possibly could sell illegal potions like the one used on him. His wound still stings a bit, the potion used may not have affected him fully since he's an alpha but the side effects were still present– he would feel dizzy sometimes, getting picky with his food since it somehow disoriented his sense of taste, the wrong food making him puke, and he's sleepy all the time. That night when he woke up, he decided to clear the headache and blurriness with a cold bath, sneaking past the royal guards and went to the bathing room.

So it caught him by surprise to see his betrothed there, wide awake and naked under the water. Seungcheol thanked his lucky stars that he managed to control himself from jumping on the defenseless omega. It took all of his will power not to take advantage at what was presented to him, his canines were itching to sink it down on his pale neck, wanting to bite where his scent glands are. His alpha growling at him to claim and mark him. He somewhat blamed the potion for his recklessness but a portion of it was the longing his heart feels.

Seungcheol sighs deeply, "Hey, Soons."

The other alpha perks at the call of his name, "Yes, hyung?"

"Mind zapping me with your lightning? So I could clear my thoughts." Seungcheol requests, giving him a determined nod.

Soonyoung sputters, giving him an incredulous look, "You do know it could kill you right?"

Seungcheol sighs again, "I'm having troubles with my betrothed."

The younger chuckles humorlessly, "We're the same, then. I got slapped yesterday by Prince Jihoon."

"What the fuck? What did you do?"

"I was too overprotective of him." He replies sheepishly, looking down at pavement they're walking.

Seungcheol raises a brow, "Define 'overprotective', Soonyoung."

The latter whines, ears turning red in shame, "I locked him in his room?"

The older breathes out a harsh exhale, disappointed but not surprised. He understands where the younger was coming from, the trauma of his childhood made him that way, all of them did, suffered the same fear of losing their loved ones, so he wouldn't blame him but Prince Jihoon doesn't know, seeing as how he is liberated with his words and actions, he surely acted the opposite of what the alpha has expected.

"You regret it now?" Seungcheol says to him calmly, nudging his shoulder. The younger alpha nods, a pout on his lips. "I'm afraid if I come near him to apologize, he'll deck me with anything his hands come in contact."

Seungcheol snorts, the image of Soonyoung struggling helpless against his betrothed popping in his mind. The alpha who has been to numerous missions, faced terror and foes, not batting an eyelash at them. Yet, here he is, shaking in fear at that the thought of his tiny betrothed's wrath.

"You're whipped." Seungcheol says, after a minute of laughing at his pitiful state.

"No, you." The younger retorts, "I wasn't the one blushing on the first day we came here because of Prince Jeonghan."

He sticks his tongue at him, the older ignores his childish antics, paying attention to their surroundings instead. Dressed in almost too casual clothing they borrowed from one of the servants, they worked their way into the darker part of the kingdom,  way up north, the place seems secluded and deserted, an obvious place for the less fortunate, suited for criminals and illegalities. There were less people seen outside, the buildings were old and grey, its paint already faded. A few shops were open, entering them one by one but none seems like the one they're looking for as they tried asking as vaguely as they could, not to rise suspicion, but all they get is a shake of head.