LX

I tried my best. Oh, ayan. UnnieUwU

•••

Minghao clutches the lone white rose in his left hand, blankly staring at the tomb of his mother.

The burial was kept simple, only the Royal family and a few of the Queen's trusted servants and the Jade king had came to give his condolences to them. The people of the kingdom were not allowed as to not too much commotion, they were kept in the dark about the reason of the queen's death, rumors of illness or sudden heart attack circulated the town but no one had confirm nor denied this. The King was not ready to face the truth of her death. Minghao took note on the hushed whispers both kings had, the way their father's face contorted into a pained grimace as they step further away and back into the castle when the ceremony was over, giving one last remorseful glance on the tombstone.

Their mother's grave was placed beside their relatives and the previous kings of the kingdom, not to so far from the castle and not too deep into the forest over the castle walls, high fences were surrounding the graveyard, and it was kept clean by the keeper. His brothers all gave a small speech as they each light a candle for her.
Seungkwan was teary-eyed as he supposedly whispered that he's going to get married soon, and that he's happy. Wonwoo and Jihoon didn't utter much, gave a prayer and left with their betrotheds following. Jisoo sighed and wished her a 'sleep well' which totally confused him but he didn't ask. He was supporting Jeonghan, who had an injured ankle, their eldest hyung wept a few tears and spoke his goodbyes.

Minghao was the left alone, well, not really, Junhui insisted to stay with him, even if he told him he wants to be with himself. The older stood by the entrance of the graveyard, holding an umbrella over his head. It wasn't raining and not gonna anytime soon, the sun wasn't either out, just a few clouds scattering above the skies. He looked back at his betrothed who nodded at him, somewhat encouraging. It gave him a sense of comfort and was glad that he didn't leave him alone.

He looks back at his mother's tomb, pulling something out of his pockets.  The thin sheet was a bit old and the edges were quite torn, he rolled it and wrapped a string to hold it together, along with the flower, he kneels down and clasps his hands together, muttering something to it.

"Hello, mother." He starts, wincing at how hesitant and weird his pitch was, it didn't sound like him. He wasn't used to talking to her, afraid of her piercing stares that make him feel small and now that he's not seeing what her face might do, he was still not sure what to say.

"I wonder where you are, what happened to you. I have so many questions to ask, and a million things to say but I don't know how to piece it together."

Minghao puts the paper a top her grave, near the candles and her portrait. "I wrote this letter for you. I hope to give it to you one day, after my wedding maybe, but that's quite impossible now."

Hiraeth.

That's how he feels, the moment he lifted the quail and the tip landed on the paper, his hands nonstop wrote and wrote, emotions and feelings he had long forgotten all wrapped in it. He doesn't understand why he felt a part of his heart was empty, and nothing might be able to fill the void it left. There's this longing as he grieves, but what he yearns for is something doesn't know. He's terrified of the silence and emptiness, trying to reach what wasn't there in the first place, missing the home he never had, and will never have. He continues to embed everything he has, drain it all out and not reminisce to it anymore, letting his heart bleed the words out for him. The moment he stopped writing, a few of his tears had stained the paper, he wipes it away and smudging the ink on that one word he never knew he could say to her. Love.
He laughs at the irony of it all.

Will he be capable of finding his home and love at the same time?

Minghao looks back at Junhui, who kept has his eyes on him. He wonders if he was staring the whole time. The alpha holds his arm up and waves at him to continue.

He lets a smile dwell on his lips for a second before turning back to her, "I'll find that happiness someday."

His grip on the white roses hurts, a few thorns have not been cut, he doesn't mind it, focusing as his vision is blurring a bit.
"May the Moon Goddess light your path to the heavens, my dear mother."

Junhui startles, snapping his head to where he hears padded foot steps on the ground, leaves crunching as he walks to them. He tries not to raise his eyebrows in suspicion as the attendant gives him a curt bow. "Is Prince Minghao still there?"

He nods, jerking his chin to his direction, gaze not leaving the attendant's face, who is barred with no emotions. "Yes. Do you need something, Sicheng-ssi?"

If Sicheng notices the harsh tone, he doesn't comment on it, instead he walks forward, levelling his state. "Its best if you take the prince back at the castle, Prince Junhui."

"Why? Does his highness require my betrothed's presence?"

Sicheng sighs quietly, trying not to fidget in his place under the sharp glare the alpha has, he's intimidated but he's not backing down either. "Yes, Prince."

"Very well then." Junhui says, about to call for the omega but Minghao was already walking to them, head tilted to the side in a questioning manner. Sicheng gives him another bow, murmuring a greeting.

Junhui raises the umbrella over his head when he reaches close, an arm's distance to him. Minghao pays no attention to it, and regards his attendant with a smile. "Is there something you need, Sicheng-ssi?"

The alpha answers for him instead, pulling him closer and sweeps him away from the place. Junhui regards him with one last look, eyes boring straight into his, trying to search for something. He flickers it back when Minghao whines for him to move faster and they leave.

Sicheng huffs out the breath he was holding, his knees wobble slightly. The alpha's presence was too strong for him, he knows the older prince has his eyes on him, wary of his every move and when he lingers close to the younger, his stare pierces to his soul. He suppresses a shudder each time, chanting in his head that he's doing it all for Minghao's future. Junhui does not know what he does, and its best to keep that way.

He walks to the Queen's grave, going down to both knees and bows lowly, bending down 'till his forehead touches the ground. Sicheng stays in the position for a while, biting his lower lip harshly that it almost bleeds, swallowing the sob that's about to break out of him.

"I'm sorry, your highness. I have failed you."

Regret and remorse wracks through his body, suffocating him with it. He had sleepless nights because of it, not only him. All of them did.

It was their fault.

Sicheng sits upright, propping his knees and puts his hands together, about to say his prayers when it caught his attention. His breath hitched and his chest constricted painfully. He picks the rose up, its previous white color has turned black, its dark petals falling down, until nothing is left and he's holding the stem in his grasp, that has also turned black. The wind blows, scattering the petals away from the place.

Sicheng blinks up at the sky, praying for forgiveness.