XXXVII

•••

"Seungkwan-ah."

Seungkwan doesn't turn around, maintains crouching down on the ground, staring intently at the lone flower that has yet to bud.

"Seungkwan?"

Still no response. The omega crouches further, brows meeting as he concentrates. He whines lowly, cupping his hands near it.

"Kwan?"

Closing his eyes, he tries to feel around, the gentle sway of the breeze, the ground soft against his feet, the sweet smell of the flowers in their garden. He inhales and exhales, inching closer to his objective.

"Kwannie?"

'Please, please, please.' He chants in his mind, concentrating with all his might as he waits for something to happen. 'Please, work.'

Forcing his eyes shut, he tries once again, this time closing his palms around it. He lets himself go lax, mind blanking out, trying to channel his strength unto his hands. Slowly, he could feel his energy dwindling slowly, 'Its happening.'

"Boo."

"Shhh."

He hushes Hansol who sighs loudly, he's been standing besides him, weirded out by what the omega has been doing for the past half an hour. He and Chan was dragged to the garden, whipping his head around searching for something amidst the blooming roses and marigolds. When he found what he has been looking for, he kept mumbling that he should try. Hansol patiently waited, but got bored and tried to poke the other on what he was doing but no response. Chan already left, chasing the butterflies he saw.

Seungkwan opens one eye, slowly opening his hands, suppressing a gasp if it actually worked.

"Oh."

Seungkwan sighs, the disappointment looming heavily, he followed what the book he read has stated, he tried the simplest, if he would be able to at least make a lone flower bloom in its brightest, but it was still the same. He sits up, face barred with no emotions, maybe, if he wished deep in his heart he would be able to conjure the magic hidden within him.

Seungkwan wanted the magic to heal. He wanted to help people in any way he could, be it covering a small wound or save a life. Who knew it could be so difficult?
Maybe, just like the flower, he was yet to grow and bloom, he still needs a lot of training.

"Boo?" Hansol pokes him on the cheek.

"Hmm?" Seungkwan meets his gaze, smiling to assure the other.

Hansol wants to ask but he dared not to upset him any further, tugging his wrist gently to stand up, "Let's go find Chan? He went the other way."

He links their fingers together, Seungkwan ducks his head down to hide his smile. His betrothed has been nothing but sweet with him, accommodating his whims and stuck to his side most of the time. It makes his heart flutter even with a single glance to his way. They make their way around the garden, found Chan surrounded by sunflowers and carnations, with butterflies twirling around him.

"Chan!" Seungkwan calls out, the younger male turning around and waves a hand at him. Walking closer, he spots another person with him.

"Renjun-ah? Why are you here?" His attendant bows, mumbling a greeting to them.

"I was roaming around the garden, your Highness. I saw the prince and decided to give him company." Renjun says.

Chan nods when Seungkwan looks his way, a yellow butterfly landing on his shoulder making him giggle.

Seungkwan waves a hand to dismiss him but Renjun shakes his head, wanting to stay a bit longer. Hansol has joined Chan into chasing butterflies leaving them alone.

"Prince? If you don't mind me asking how are you this past few days?" Renjun moves to his side.

"I've been well. Thank you for asking."

"Is your betrothed treating you well? I will have a word with him if so much looks at you in the wrong way." Seungkwan chuckles lightly, his attendant has always been protective of him, both being the youngest in their family, they get along well. Seungkwan could consider Renjun as his best friend, almost like family.

"He's nothing but the best, Renjun-ah." He says, eyes sparkling with happiness.

"Its been so long since I've seen you this happy, prince. Not since–" The attendant stops, an apology on the tip of his tongue but Seungkwan waves it off.

"I know. I thought I wouldn't be able to feel this again and I'm glad I'm slowly getting there with Hansol." Seungkwan says, the memories of his first love flashing back to mind, of days where he was young and naive. He thought he was the one for him, even with the years apart, Seungkwan was the happiest with him, but fate was cruel and he left the world without saying goodbye. The omega was devastated per say, his brothers never knew, only Renjun, who comforted him in all ways he can. Seungkwan can say he trusts him with his life.

A smile etched on his lips without knowing, blinking the bitter memories away, "What about you, Renjun? Its been weeks since we've talked, where were you?"

Said person looks away, back at the fields, his eyes at the two princes, "I've been busy, your highness. I deeply apologize if I prioritized others than my duty to you."

"Its fine. Hyuckie and Chenle-ah were a great company. Chan keeps on bickering with Hyuck, and Minhyung is worried they will be kicked out of the castle because of that. Jeno and Jaemin are busy with Jisung. I swear those two, when will they realize they like each other?" Seungkwan says, exasperated yet fond.

"When the moon turns pink maybe they will." Renjun replies, rolling his eyes at the mention of their names.

"What about you, Renjun-ah? When will you let your heart open to others?" He teases the attendant, who turns bright red, composure faltering a bit.

"I may have been seeing someone, he's new to this kingdom and a family friend of mine." Seungkwan squeals in delight, poking the other in his side.

Renjun clears his throat, not minding the teasing grin the Prince sends his way, and excuses himself for his duties. Seungkwan lets him and joins his betrothed and Chan on the garden, forgetting his earlier disappointments.

When he was further away, he turns and walks to the path where the Prince had been before, searching for the lone flower he got occupied with. He wasn't a surprised when he saw it.

It wilted, slowly turning into ashes as the wind swept its remains. It left a black spot on where it was planted.

Renjun shook his head, a sad smile in his lips, "It has started."