Epilogue: Derby Ram

"~Oh! As I was going to Derby, 'twas on a market day I met the finest ram, sirs, that ever was fed upon hay!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~" The young child before me sang, grinning from ear to ear while shaking his head.

  "~This ram and I got drunk, sir, as drunk as drunk could be, and when we sobered up, sir, we were far away out at sea!~" I waved my hands.

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~"

  "~This wonderful old ram, sir, was playful as a kid,~" I smiled and pinched the child's cheeks. "~He swallowed the capt'n's spyglass along with the bo'sun's fid!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~"

  "~Tonight was very rough, sir, the wind was blowin' keen, he borrowed me suit of oilskins, and he took me trick at the wheel!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~" He sang through giggles while watching me dance around to the silly song.

  "~One morning on the poop, sir, afore eight bells was struck, he climbed up to the sky's yard and sat down on the truck!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~"

  "~Ah, this wonderful ol' ram, sir, he tried a silly trick. He tried to jump a five-barred fence and landed in a rick!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~"

  "~This wonderful ol' ram, sir, it grew two horns of brass! One grew out o' his shoulder blade, the other turned into a mast!~" I gestured along with the words before scooping the boy up into my arms.

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~"

  "~That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, lie, lie!~" We both sang as I twirled around. We were laughing until a noise came from outside, and the boy squirmed out of my hold to run outside.

  "Daddy!" The boy was a blur with how fast he ran, and I followed after him. Charles had just dropped a load of wood onto the ground before nearly getting tackled.

  "Oh, goodness!" He chuckled, picking up our son and tossing him into the air before catching him again. "I was only gone a few hours."

  Crossing my arms and leaning on the doorway, I watched with a smile as Charles played with Edward, chasing him around the yard. It hadn't been long after Nassau had settled that what Flint had predicted to happen did, but even then, just like Charles himself had said, he wouldn't surrender to any crown to have comfort. Instead, like the stubborn old coot he was, he found an uninhabited island to build his home on. The island was small, but it was more than enough for us to provide a place we could call home other than the rough seas.

  In fact, most of the crew even lived on the island now. It was pretty much our secret hideaway for when we weren't in Nassau or on the water. And like Anne and Jack, we still practiced piracy against the crown. That didn't seem like something either of us would give up any time soon, though we did do it much less than before so that Edward could be taken care of.

  "Now, what's there to eat?" Charles questioned before kissing my cheek and going into the house with Edward dangling from his arm.

  "Bread." I replied, and he quirked up a brow at me. "It's not time to eat yet, so you get bread."

  "I had fruit!" Edward giggled while swinging his legs back and forth.

  "How come he gets fruit, and I get bread?"

  "Because he helped me clean."

  "But I was getting wood."

  "Congratulations, you're a big boy now." I pat Vane's chest. "Unless you want to cook for yourself." The man looked me in the eye, and I grinned, knowing nothing he could make would beat my cooking, and he was well aware of it, too. Charles huffed, rolling his eyes at me.

~

  "Charles, where did you put the-" I cut myself off when I entered the room and sighed before simply smiling. Supper with the crew had been a rather boisterous night on the beach, and it seemed both Charles and Edward had been tired out.

  Edward was curled up to his father's side, drooling all over his shirt, and Charles had his head at an awkward angle while snoring like a beast. Toys carved from wood and bone scattered the floor until I pushed them to the side to reach the sleeping pair.

  Carefully and gently, I picked up Edward, and with how heavy he slept, he didn't even stir as he began to drool on me. Nudging Vane's leg with my foot, he shot up and took a fighting stance before realizing what was happening.

  "How about you head to bed, Leon." I whispered before carrying Edward to his bed and laying him down. Hearing a grunt from the hall behind me as Charles passed the room, I kissed Edward on his forehead while tucking him in. Closing the bedroom door behind me, I walked further down the hall.

  Charles was taking off his boots as he sat on the edge of our bed, still looking rather tired. I could understand why- the man was both a captain and a father, running a crew and literally chasing after a hyperactive son. Kicking off my own boots, I crawled onto the bed and wrapped my arms over Vane's shoulders, resting my cheek on the back of his neck as he tossed his boots into a corner.

  I remembered how anxious he had been before Edward was born, as soon as we found out I was pregnant the man literally went into a panic. His worst fears came to light, but he didn't dare deny that he was soon going to be a father. It took him time to come to terms that a lot of things would soon change, however, like in battle, he fought his fears and as I had suspected....was an incredible father.

  He was a bit too rough around the edges at first, not having a clue how to do things, but everyone saw how much Edward made him soft. Well....soft around his son at least, he was still Captain Charles Vane any other time.

  "Deana."

  "Hmm?"

  "I can't take my shirt off if you're hanging on me."

  "Mm." I begrudgingly sat back on my haunches, letting my arms fall from Charles, and he pulled his shirt over his head. Dropping it onto the floor, he then turned and grabbed me, falling into the bed while pulling me closer. "Goodness. If you weren't so tired, I'd fuck you. Poor thing." Cupping his cheek while looking at him with mock pity, I chuckled when his eyes snapped wide open.

  "Who said I was tired?" Charles rolled on top of me, his hair falling over his shoulders like a dark curtain.

  "Sure you don't need to sleep, old man?" I teased, gently rubbing my knee against his crotch and feeling his cock harden.

  "You truly are a curse." He smirked before kissing me.

  Honestly, I was glad everything had turned out the way it had. Not only did I actually reach my dream of being a captain- though in a completely different way than expected- I also now had a family of my own that truly loved me. No more nights spent in the streets, no more cursing my father's name, no more scrapping with pirates for respect. I was loved, I was feared, I was respected. I had a home, a son, and even a husband. What more could I possibly ask for?