Storm Brewing

Waking up in Vane's arms, I felt his large hand gently touching my cheek. Groggily looking up at him, his face was unreadable as the sunlight from the window lit the room. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, the captain then smirked.

  "....Good morning, Angel." He said lowly, and it was strange to hear someone call me Angel in such a gentle way.

  "Morning, Leon."

  "Leon?" He raised a brow, his thumb caressing my cheekbone as he looked down at me.

  "You remind me of a lion." I mumbled. "Do you know Spanish?"

  "I do. Pero como te sientes después de lo de anoche?"

  "Well....that was fast." My eyebrows raised on my forehead. "I think my thighs are all chafed from your beard, though." I replied while frowning. "You damn bastard." Grabbing his chin, I shook his head a little as he chuckled.

  "You calling your captain a bastard?"

  "Would you prefer to be called asshole? Jackass? Bitch? Something else, perhaps?"

  "You may want to watch your tongue, Deana. What you say next could put me in a rather dangerous mood." Vane ran his thumb over my bottom lip while looking at my mouth.

  "Mm, I think I'll settle on calling you my bi-" I stopped as he raised his brows at me, and a mischievous smirk played onto my lips. "Bitter, old man that has no sense of humor."

  "Bitter, old man?"

  "We both know that's not what I was going to say, but I had to save my ass somehow, didn't I?"

  "And you think you've saved yourself?"

  "Is there a way to bribe you out of a punishment? It's too early, and I don't have any fucks to give to not fight back while being reprimanded." I stated, and Vane chuckled before simply kissing me.

~

  Vane had decided to show up to the meeting Eleanor was hosting, and I wandered around town while looking for small knives that were easier to throw. I didn't find anything of the sort, but it at least wasted time before I returned to the blonde woman's tavern. Oddly, though, there was a crowd inside, and I stepped to where I could see what was going on.

  "I don't want to see you in my place again. I don't want to see you on my island again. Take your men, take your shit, and seek life elsewhere." Eleanor seethed as she stepped toward a man with a familiar face. There was a dark look in his gaze, and I recognized him as Ned Low. Looking down, I saw a headless corpse on the ground and so, so much blood.

  One of Eleanor's men had his sword drawn and placed it against Low's neck beneath his chin. One of his crew went to draw his own blade but was stopped by Low raising his hand.

  "I'd appreciate it if you'd remove that from my face, friend."

  "Did you not hear the lady, friend?"

  "All right." Low's voice was utterly calm before he turned away, but I knew that couldn't be it if he so easily overlooked the knife I held to his throat the other night. And, as I had thought, Low swung back around with his cutlass clashing with the guard's. The crowd backed up as they crossed swords, and Low kicked Eleanor's man into a table.

  He rolled away to avoid the pirate's blade before getting to his feet to fight again. They seemed an even match as their blades clanged loudly together and they crashed into more tables. However, when the guard lunged at Low, Low stepped to the side and slashed the guard's stomach open.

  The pirate panted as the guard fell to his knees, and he looked at Eleanor while pointing at the guard with his sword.

  "Don't!" She pleaded as Low placed his sword against the back of the other man's neck. He continued looking at her as he impaled the guard's throat in front of everyone in the tavern. He pushed the dead man down, the body thumping on the wooden floor. Panic was clear in the blonde woman's eyes as she searched the crowd for a source of help, and her gaze landed briefly on Vane before Low spoke.

  "I'm sorry we've had such a rough go at it, you and I....but I'm afraid I'm simply enjoying myself way too much to consider leaving this place." The man smirked. "I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon." And he turned on his heel to leave but spotted me in the doorway. I tensed, my hand automatically grabbing the hilt of my knife as he grinned at me. "Oh, hello, sweet Deana Blake." He stepped closer while wiping his bloody nose with his sleeve. "Come to enjoy the show?" Low asked, but I said nothing. "You know....whenever it stings I think of you. Was that its intended purpose?" He chuckled while lifting his chin, showing the healing cut on his neck from my blade.

  "Of course not." My voice was full of sharp edges.

  "Well, nonetheless, I will return the favor soon." Low drug his finger across my throat while looking down at me. "Dream of me, lovely Deana Blake." He said lowly while smirking before he walked off with his crew.

  Snarling, I wiped my neck, trying to get rid of the blood he had smeared there from his red-soaked hands. Again, it felt vile whenever he said my name. It was as if I was being violated by his voice alone.

  "What the fuck was that?" Vane growled as he grabbed my arm. "You know him?"

  "The man's a bloody lunatic." I stated. "I don't know him, and he has this fucking idea that I'll inevitably end up in his bed." Wiping my neck some more, I glanced up at the captain and saw a fire of aggression burning in his eyes.

  "Why did you cut him?"

  "What?"

  "Why did you cut him?" He asked through gritted teeth, and his hold on my arm was rather tight. ....He was pissed.

  "He thought me to be one of the brothel's whores, and I had to show him otherwise."

  "You stay away from him, do you understand me?" Vane's voice was like a growl as his eyes were like ice.

  "You really think you have to tell me?" I popped off. "That man is nothing but a monster." The captain looked at me with a serious expression on his face before glancing around.

  "Let's go." He said, pulling me out into the street as he walked with his shoulders tense.