12. Apologies

"Mr. Lupin, will you see me after class?"

Professor Longbottom stopped at the middle of his lecture about self-fertilizing shrubs as he noticed Lupin not paying attention to him. The boy himself looked up from his desk and nodded weakly at the Herbology professor before returning to whatever he was watching at this desk. Professor Longbottom stared at him for a couple of seconds until he returned to his lecture.

"Lupin got in trouble with Professor Longbottom? Wow that's a miracle." Nate next to me chuckled, watching Lupin from the front of the classroom. "What's next, me getting a girlfriend?"

Once the class is over, Fred and Seth insisted on staying, to hide somewhere, so they could listen to Professor Longbottom and Lupin's private conversation. However, Mr. Longbottom seems to know better because he had shut his door and no noise at all can be heard through it. The silencing charm.

Once the boys realized they aren't going anything from eavesdropping, they gave up and proceeded to our next class, which is Care of Magical Creatures. When we arrived at Hagrid's hut, we found our teacher holding something that's quite fidgety in his arms. Since we came late, we had to stay at the back of the crowd and at that spot, it's a bit difficult for me to see what Hagrid is holding. Through many taller people in front of me, all I'm saying is a black small figure.

"Good afternoon class! I've got a new friend that I want you all to meet! This is a pup named Gypsy." I stood on my tiptoes to see Hagrid showing off a baby wolf with dark brown and white fur. "Open your books to page 207. Today we will be learning more about wolves." Hagrid set down Gypsy into a log beside him while opening his own book. Going to the nearest tree, I leaned my body on its trunk while I opened my book. "Now, who can tell us anything about wolves?" Hagrid scanned the class for answers but no hands went up.

For a minute, no one answered until someone spoke out loud. "Wolves are a species of canine closely related to the domestic dog. A human affected with lycantrophy will turn into a wolf-like being known as a werewolf every full moon." That would be Edward Lupin appearing out of nowhere, bringing everyone's attention on him. He is currently walking towards us, coming from the castle just as he answered Hagrid. This time, he is looking more bright and alive. There's a smile on his face, though it's not as big as usual, but it's there. "Sorry I'm late, Hagrid. Professor Longbottom needed to talk to me."

"That's alright, Teddy. And you're very right, of course." Hagrid smiled at him. "Why don't you come up to the front and say hi to our new friend, Gypsy?" I watched as Lupin's face completely lightened up, pushing people as he walks through the crowd to get to the front. "Gypsy, this is Teddy."

I still couldn't see properly but from my new spot, I could see more clear. Lupin is holding Gypsy in his arms and the little wolf looks as if it's almost overjoy to see him. Gypsy is wagging his tail and licking Lupin's hands while being petted. "He's so cute!" Janie squealed, giggling with her friends.

"A long while ago, there used to be a pack of wolves that lived at the Forbidden Forest. They used to guard the students and the castle but they've migrated, leaving the centaurs with the job." Hagrid informed.

The rest of the class went quickly. Half of the time, we've read sections from the book and the other half, we just played with Gypsy. Most people just watched but a fair few students petted him and played games. I didn't really go near the pup, but I realized it's very friendly (to most people) and quite playful but I could tell Gypsy likes Lupin the most. I don't know why though. It's Lupin.

"Homework is to read the next chapter. We will have a short quiz based on them next time we meet." Hagrid reminds the class as we were leaving. "Oh! And Fred and Teddy -- and Seth and Sam of course, would you like to come visit me later this afternoon? I've got another friend I want you to meet. He should be coming in a few hours and I think you'd love him."