22. Alternate Universe

It's the 2nd week of December and the last week before we go on break for the holiday. It's Tuesday and Quidditch practice just ended a couple of hours ago. This time, we had to go overtime because the match against Slytherin is at Friday. It's 6:30 in the afternoon, Colleen and I are doing our Astronomy homework that is due tomorrow. Colleen is almost done with it since she started right after classes ended, but since I had to go to Quidditch practice, I've just started my first sentence while she's at her last paragraph.

Our task is to write a one full page story, two pages for extra credit, about an alternate universe of our lives. It's supposed to be a fun assignment since in class, we've been talking about how the stars and planet alignments relate to people's personalities.

For example, those horoscopes we see at Daily Prophets, magazines and every other reading materials, the horoscopes give facts about people based on their zodiac signs. Just like myself and Seth, we are Aquarius as we are born on the 27th of January, and horoscopes are saying things like, 'Positive Qualities of Aquarius includes: Truthfulness, Curious, Affectionate Personality, Frank and Imaginative. Negative Qualities of Aquarius : Unpredictable, Detachment, Tendency to go off-track, and Inefficiency.' On the magazine I received last week, that's what it says on the horoscopes. It's not completely accurate, but it generalizes us.

The main question for our assignment is, if we have a completely different personality, a completely different life on an alternate universe, how would our life look like? Professor Sinistra said we can write anything we want and we have to include the people around us such as our friends, family, teachers, pets, and everything else.

Now my problem is I don't know what to write because I am overwhelmed with ideas. The possibilities are infinite and I can't choose which one I want to write. I mean, I can be this overly happy, bubbly sweet and very optimistic girl who everyone loves. I can be an evil, loathsome yet genius girl who everyone hates. I can be a boy. I can be a cat. I can be a goddess from another world with all these super cool powers. I can be a villain from one planet and a superhero on another planet and at the same time be a normal muggle on this planet. I can be married to Armando Flores and have like 3 beautiful children. I can be a front woman of a pop punk band and be best friends with Ryan Ross and all those cool band members.

"I don't know what to write!" I cried, throwing my stuff on the table. "Writing is hard. Life is so hard."

Colleen held up her parchment. "I finally finished and I'm quite proud of it. In my alternate universe, I am a princess and Lowell is the prince. But instead of him saving me, he's the one kept at this castle with all these tough guards and beasts around him. The guards are Teddy, Fred, Seth, James and Francis. The beast is Nina's bearded dragon, but ten times bigger."

"So like Godzilla?" Nina raised a brow. "I like it, Finnigan. Keep talking about Smaug being a beast." She looked at her pet proudly. "I mean, Smaug is originally a dragon from The Hobbit but that's cool too."

Colleen continued. "And on my way to save Lowell, I get help and that's when you girls come in. Roxanne is a knight who's going to help me fight in the castle. Nina is a fairy who I've known for my whole life and Sam is a mermaid who's really smart and tells me the things to do. Sam, you're like this beautiful mermaid but when you get angry, you turn into this piranha-like creature and at the end, you end up killing the guards and Nina becomes best friends with the beast."

Wow, what an imagination this girl has.

"Nina gets to be a fairy and I get to be a piranha." I laughed. "I love it. Especially the part where I get to kill the guards." An evil mermaid. That would be nice. Just like -- "Wait a minute. I'm literally just one of the Merpeople at the Black Lake! They are evil mermaids!"