Chapter Ten

I woke up with a huge smile plastered upon my face. When I went to get my meds the nurses all gave me strange looks, I would too knowing how much of ass I've been to them since I got here. I almost skipped to the breakfast line, I hadn't been this happy in months possibly years. I didn't pay much attention to what was handed to me, the second I sat down I regretted it. I sat down next to Jack, Rian, and Zack. Jack blushed a the sight of me.

    "So are you two a thing now?" Rian asked. "Don't lie by the way, I saw you two sneak outside I was just praying you wouldn't fuck while I was in the room."

     Jack and I turning into an almost matching shade of red. Rian broke out in laughter while Zack just chuckled nervously.

     "I guess we are," Jack announced biting his lip a little.

     My eyes lit up the second the words left his mouth. I wanted to jump out of my seat and scream to the world how Jack Bassam Barakat was mine and only mine. In that moment I swear not one bad thought came into my mind, for a long minute everything was perfect.

     After a couple minutes Zack and Rian left Jack and I alone. Without a word we both got up and stood next to each other. we walked into the rec room and we sat down in the corner filled with instruments. I picked up a guitar, my fingers lazly moved across the frets. I slowly started to play the chords to I'm Low On Gas And You Need  A Jacket.
     "Sing for me," Jack said.

     "What? Why?" I asked.

     "Please," he begged.

     "Okay but I'm shit so don't expect anything."

      First I began to strum the guitar until it sounded perfect, then I started to move my fingers, at first they moved awkwardly as I began to gain confidence they moved with the skill of someone who'd been playing for years.

     "Choke, tried to wash you down with something strong
Dry but the taste of blood remains
Cold, empty mattresses and falling stars
My, how they start to look the same
So keep in happiness
And torture me while I tell you,
Let's go in style
A million hooks around
A million ways to die
Darling, it's cold outside"
     I looked up at Jack and I saw his face lit up and his mouth curved into a perfect smile.
     "No, no more eyes to see the sun
You slide into bed while I get drunk
Slow conversations with a gun
Mean more than I've ever said to anyone, anyone
So keep in happiness
And torture me while I tell you,
Let's go in style
A million hooks around
A million ways to die
Darling, let's go inside
It'll be alright"

    I looked up again only this time it wasn't only Jack sitting and watching me. I'd somehow managed to draw a crowd of twenty people, even some nurses were watching me. I began to get nervous, but it all went away once I saw Jack's beautiful brown eyes lit up and his mouth still in a smile as he swayed to my voice. I looked down to the guitar and watched my fingers slide to each chord automatically.
     "But last night, you said you ended up in Palm Springs dancing on tables
Almost fought some bitch at the club
Got kicked out of your hotel and lost your shoes
Well, fuck, what am I supposed to be, impressed?
You're just another set of bones to lay to rest
I guess it’s time to say goodnight.
Hope you had a really good time, good time
And I will soon forget the color of your eyes and you’ll forget mine
So keep in happiness
And torture me while I tell you,
Let's go in style
A million hooks around
A million ways to die
Let's go outside
It'll be alright
Last night, you said you ended up in Palm Springs dancing on tables"

    Once I strummed one last time I looked up and smiled at Jack. All at once the crowd I'd managed to draw began to clap causing me to blush. I smiled at looked down at he ground as my face turned a deeper shade of red. I put the guitar down, the second its wooden frame left my hands, Jack replaced it and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around him, I took in a breath of his smell. I felt a small scratch of his stubble against my upper cheek. I wanted to kiss him in that moment, its all I wanted just to feel his lips against mine once again, but I couldn't, patients weren't allowed to be in relationships with each other here.

    The second he let me go he said to me, "You're shit my ass." Making me smile.

    "You're fucking amazing, Alex," He said.

     "Don't lie Jack," I replied.

     "How could I ever lie to you?" He chuckled.

      My lips instantly turned into a smile, and my cheeks a light shade of pink.  I got congratulatory hugs and highfives for a couple minutes until my voice was no longer what most people where talking about. Jack and I then sat on a couch and I rested my head against his shoulder. I wanted Jack to wrap his arm around me and hold me close, only that wasn't allowed here. We were silent for a while, everyone around was moving and creating much more unnecessary noise than I knew was possible. I wanted to recreate last night, while I held Jack and kissed his soft, sweet lips.

    Jack and I got up and headed to a group therapy session that we'd been signed up for. I walked into the room before Jack and I automatically knew this would be hell on fucking earth. There were ten foldable chairs in a circle and an eleventh in which an old man reading some papers, who I assumed to be the therapist in charge sat. I sat down two seats away from him, from the second I saw him I knew he'd hate me. Jack sat to my left, I brushed my hand up against his and shot him an encouraging smile.

    After no more than two minutes the rest of the chairs where filled in. He finally looked up from his papers.

    "Hello I'm Mr. Harley, I'm here to help you find a way out of this place and get better. Before we start I have a couple of rules, one don't talk over me or each other, two you don't judge, and three never sit next to you're friends," he said giving me and Jack a glare.

     He made Jack and a stranger switch seats, I felt a pit of anger form in my stomach.

     "I want you all to go around in the circle and say how you feel and on a scale of one to ten how suicidal have you felt today."

     We all talked and when it came to my turn I said, "I feel fine, and one a scale of one to ten I'd say six"

      I stopped paying attention to whatever was saying until he got to Jack and he said, "Fine, I guess, and an eight"

      All I wanted then to do was hug Jack but of course, Satan himself had to have out as a therapist who won't even let him sit next to me.

      The rest of the session was actual crap, but still all I could think of was Jack and how he still wasn't happy. All I wanted was to hold the taller boy in my arms sing to him, and tell him somehow everything would be okay.