Chapter Three

Jack and I stayed quiet for a couple minutes until a nurse came in, she told us it was curfew and escorted is to our rooms. I changed into pajamas and tried to sleep. I looked over at Rian and he was obviously asleep, I tried to sleep but I kept hearing Jack's voice echoing in my head. The seconds in which Jack's voice would leave my mind it was replaced by quiet screaming. I didn't know how Rian could sleep through this.

   After hours of tossing and turning I finally fell asleep. I only slept for two hours when the nurse woke me up for my morning meds.

   "You didn't sleep much did you?" Rian asked.

   "No, how'd you know?" I asked confused as I could usually fake it.

   "When you're the person faking everything you learn how to read it in others."

    Rian and I walked into the cafeteria, Jack waved for us to sit with him. After getting my breakfast, I sat next to him while Rian sat with some other guys.

   "How was your first night?" Jack asked taking a small bite from his toast.

   "Shitty," I replied stuffing a forkfull of eggs into my mouth.

   "Let me guess the screams got to you?"

   "How'd you know?"

   "They always do, at least for the first couple nights," Jack said, "I wish I had your room, you can barely hear them in the depression unit while in the eating disorder unit they almost seem to echo."

    "I can't imagine what it's like in the schizophrenic unit then," I said.

    "Well they don't actually mind it, see most of the time its just night screams so they're used to it."

    "You seem to know a lot about it here," I commented.

    "Well I have lived here on and off for about four years," Jack replied.

    Through the whole meal he only ate half of his food. He saw the look on my face and said, "Trust me, Alex, it's better than it was before."

    Jack and I walked outside, I saw so many people walking around, some looked happy while others walked alone, you could see it in their eyes, they didn't care anymore.

   "So Alex did you have a girlfriend before you came?" Jack asked.

   "Well I did, but we broke up," I answered.

   "Why?"

   "She was a nice girl and everything but once everything started getting bad again she said when she said yes to me she didn't sign up to be a therapist."

   "That's horrible," Jack said.

   "What about you?" I asked, "Did you have some special lady?"

   "Well, kinda, she was my first girlfriend but I broke up with her when I got sent to a group home."

   Jack and I walked around the grounds. He showed me his favorite hiding spot, he showed me every inch of that place.

Jack looked down to his watch.

    "Sorry Alex I gotta roll, my therapist appointment is in five," Jack said beforing sprinting off.

    I began to wander around the grounds. I laid down and let myself become lost in my thoughts. I began to think of Lisa and of how in one night she ripped out my heart and stomped on it. In a way I missed her, well not actually her I missed the feeling of being loved, of having someone care about me, actually I almost craved it.