HLS - Chapter 21

I'm not exactly happy with this chapter, don't know why :( Please tell me what you think in a comment.

Much appreciated xx

I resisted the urge to smack Rowan on the head with my bag. He couldn’t stop the laughter that kept bubbling out of his mouth. Victoria, Rowan and I were currently running as fast as we could with our entire luggage in an attempt to catch our plane. From the looks we were getting I can conclude that we looked like complete and utter idiots. Rowan found our situation hilarious, Vic was just gloomy and angry at the world as usual and I was bracing myself for the hell I was so getting from Jackie.

“Okay! Here it is, gate 9.” I yelled. My eyes swept the empty chairs and bored looking man standing at the gate. “Shit. Rowan I think our plane left.” I groaned. Rowan shook his head and walked up to the man as if he had no care in the world. They started conversing and laughing as best friends would and I couldn’t help but smile at my brother’s effortless charm. However my smile morphed into a frown when the man shook his head and Rowan walked back with an expressionless face. I could feel my face turn pale, and desperation got the best of me.

“Wait!” I called out approaching the man. “We need to board that plane, please? My friends in there.” The man strangely fell silent, his eyes glazed over as he looked into my eyes. Uh.. that was a tad bit unusual and a bit creepy. I thought worriedly. “Uh.” He said shaking his head. “Uh.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or slap him out of his trance, and so I did neither. Instead I batted my eyelashes and unfairly gave him my best puppy dog eyes. His eyes bulged and his face turned deep crimson.

I was slightly knocked to the side by Rowan. “That’s not fair.” Rowan laughed on the behalf of the man. It didn’t look like the man could muster up any words on his own anyway. I smiled sheepishly then averted my eyes back at the man.

“I-I’m sorry ma’am.” He managed to choke out. “This gate no longer leads you to a plane. The airplane you’re looking for is already down the road and getting ready for takeoff. Is your name by any chance Mia Evans?” He asked with a little more self-control. “Yes.” I answered hesitantly. “We called your names a lot before closing the gates. I’m sorry though.” He said smiling sincerely. I thanked him and walked back to Rowan and Vic.

“I guess your charms didn’t work this time.” Vic scoffed. I had no time to answer her as a body crashed into mine from behind. I was sent flying forward, I would have hit the ground hard if a pair of strong arms didn’t stop me.

“Mia. Evans.” Jackie growled from behind me. I shot Abe a fearful yet grateful look. “What the hell happened? You guys have better got a great reason for being late!” She yelled. I straightened myself and looked her in the eyes.

“I’m so sorry Jackie. I know how much this trip meant to you.” I felt terrible. Jackie had been planning this trip for months. She was excited and had managed to keep it a surprise until Abe accidentally spilled the beans. I was looking forward to the trip too, a beautiful escapade with the people I loved most. Before we left the house I had begged my parents to visit us there. They seemed startled and slightly confused but argued nonetheless saying they didn’t want to spoil our fun. In the end we came to a compromise that both my parents and Aaron would visit us for a couple of days. That way I could think of a better way to spend time with them, and bid them goodbyes in a more appropriate way. Now looking at Jackie, with her red face and crushed expression I felt all my plans slip through my fingers. I couldn’t hear a word she was yelling. I watched her shake her fist in Rowans face and tears stream down her face. I watched as Zach pulled her close to him and she immediately relaxed. I don’t know why that annoyed me. I brushed the feeling off quickly.