Chapter 3

I noticed my idiotic brother's face squished against the window while I was making my way to the front door.

“Was that Zachary Hastings?” Rowan asked the second I entered the living room.

“Were you staring through the window like a creep until I got home?” I teased.

Rowan didn’t look amused. If anything, he looked like he wanted to punch me.

I chuckled and sank into the plush sofa.

“Rowan, don’t you find it suspicious that Zach changed overnight?” I inquired. Rowan and Zach had been good friends. But I knew my brother, and if it came down to choosing a friend over his sister and Jackie, he’d side with us no matter what the circumstance.

“Yeah. Zach was practically tripping over his own feet for Jackie. Now, he acts like she’s Satan’s reincarnation” Rowan voiced.

“Something’s not right.” I muttered. “And I have a feeling Carmen plays a big role in making this happen.”

“Carmen Stone?” Rowan scoffed. “She might just kill Zach with one of her STD’s. That’ll be fucked up karma.”

Carmen Stone was the tall, slim redhead with catlike eyes who badmouthed Jackie in the cafeteria. She was gorgeous with her ivory skin and blood red tresses. Rumors flew around school about how she slept around like there was no tomorrow. She didn’t have any boundaries. Sabotaging relationships was her forte.

Carmen and I hadn’t properly spoken before. She wasn’t in any of my classes. I often spotted her hanging off the arm of a boy. And if she wasn’t in company of a male, she was alone and unapproachable.

“I’m going to go see Jackie now.” I told Rowan. “Don’t wait up for me for dinner. Anna will most probably force me to eat there.”

I stood up. My head spun and I almost crashed to the ground if it weren’t for Rowan. He was at my side in a flash. His strong arms supported my weight.

“Are you okay?” He asked. His eyes, a replica of mine, burned with concern.

My eyes widened. I abruptly stood straight.

“I’m fine.” I said with a strained voice. I was supposed to be acting normal. I wasn’t supposed to give off signs of my illness. Was this a symptom?

“Head rush.” I excused feebly. “Bye now.” I said.

Rowan’s eyes followed my every move. Thankfully, he didn’t stop me.

I stepped out into the L.A. heat. Jackie’s house was in the same neighborhood, only six houses down from mine. I made my way down the sidewalk. My white converse shoes were the only source of noise besides the faint sound of passing cars. Since the houses were massive, they were fairly situated apart and it took longer to get to Jackie’s house than one would think.

Without warning, I gasped and doubled over in pain. I sunk to my knees and retched. It felt like knives were scratching the inside of my stomach. I felt like vomiting but nothing came out.

I don’t know how long I sat there on my knees and palms, gasping for air. A worried voice brought me back to reality.

“Are you okay?” A pre-teenage girl asked. She stood beside her bike with an anxious expression. It looked like she had yanked out her headphones, for it dangled from her hand.

I was overtaken by the urge to yell at her. It was the same question Rowan had asked me. Are you okay? No, no I wasn’t okay. I was dying and no one knew it.

I tamed my emotions and waved a hand in the air.

“I’m fine.” I lied.

The girl abandoned her bike and helped me up. I shot her a grateful smile.