HLS - Chapter 24

I'm back! I swear I was going to upload sooner but it was someone's birthday *ahem* on the 12th ;) I was going to update on my birthday but exams got in the way D: Any who, tell me how this was in a comment below?

I dialed my doctor’s number and waited. My sobs were making my shoulders shake so hard I could barely hold the phone to my ear.

“Hello.” Answered a gruff voice after a couple of rings.

“Dr. Powell.” I sighed. “I didn’t think you’d answer. I’m glad you did.”

“Mia?” He wondered. “Has anything unusual happened? Are you ok?”

I laughed hysterically. Well I’m just peachy! I’m sitting on the bathroom floor, curled up in a ball vomiting air and fighting demons in my stomach. I ran a frustrated hand through my hair. “No. Nothing is fine. You didn’t tell me it would hurt this bad.” I accused.

“I-it hurts? What hurts Mia?” He stuttered, baffled at my tone.

“My stomach! My throat! My head, oh god, my head is the worst!” I hissed feeling a new wave of dizziness overcome me.

“Come by my office. I need to see why you’re experiencing this so soon. I need to run more tests.” I could hear a faint sound of pen on paper.

I froze. “What do you mean so soon?”

He was quiet for a few seconds and I started to panic. “Other patients don’t reach this stage till.. till at least two months into the sickness.”

I numbly took the information into consideration. So I’ve had this germ for the past three or four months and I had no clue? Or my sickness is developing too quickly, unlike his previous patients. Great. Just plain GREAT.

“Oh.” I said then remembered something. “But I’m out of town, Doc. I’m in an island far from home.”

“Mia.” He said sounding agitated. “Fine, I’ll see what I can do.” With that said he hung up.

What did he mean he’d see what he could do? He isn’t going to possibly fly out here? Is he?

I pushed everything to the back of my mind. Thinking about this germ won’t make any difference. My illness was terminal, and thinking and crying about it'll just give me a headache. I splashed water onto my face, not even bothering to look at my reflection. I gasped as I glanced at my phone and found it was four o’ clock in the morning. I’ve slept for almost twelve hours. It’s impossible to go back to sleep now. I mean how can I after twelve hours of sleep filled with nightmares?

I cautiously moved around Jackie’s snoring body as I gathered some things. I changed into some Adidas shorts and a V-neck t-shirt. I slipped into my running shoes and grabbed my iPod. Quietly, I made my way out of the bedroom. I noticed Abe’s absence in the living room. Did he eventually start rooming with Vic? Why did that bother me anyway?

I shook my head and walked out the door. It was still chilly and dark but the water looked so undisturbed and the beach so serene that I couldn't resist. I turned on my iPod and "Hall of Fame" by The Script blared through my headphones. I looked around and started walking at a steady pace, and then slipped into a jog. Thirty minutes later I was full on sprinting. I decided to run around the beach's outer perimeter. No one was awake and so I didn't worry about bumping into anyone.

Running always gave me the best feeling. The wind in my face gave me the sense of freedom and the ache in my legs reminded me of crying fat and beautiful strength. My legs were seriously sore but I kept pushing myself. I knew that if I stopped I'd never be able to start again.