HLS - Chapter 23

Short but somewhat insightful x

__________

Bora Bora was a beautiful island. My hair flew in my face as a slight breeze went by. I grabbed a handful of white sand and threw it at the tranquil water. Why did Rowan have to bring Vic? This vacation was supposed to be incredible. Why did she have to ruin everything?

I grabbed another fistful of sand and threw it at the water. Why was the water so calm? Why was it so beautiful? Why can’t there be harsh winds and massive waves? This sunny weather wasn’t matching my mood at all. I looked down at my lap suddenly feeling tired.

Why was I making such a big deal out of it? I’m supposed to be happy for him. My anger was slowly being replaced with guilt. No wonder he was distancing himself from me. I was being judgmental.

“Where did ya run off to hunny bunny?” Jackie asked running up to where I was standing on the shore. It took me a while to realize she was speaking to me. I must have looked like an idiot because her face broke out into a grin. “What’s up with the gloomy face? What did Rowan say?”

I wanted to smile at how she always cut to the chase but I didn’t have the energy to. “Take me to the closest bed.”

I must have looked ill because instead of cracking a dirty joke, she grabbed me by the arm and lead the way without saying a word.

“What did Rowan say?” Jackie repeated once we entered the room. I collapsed on the bed and felt like I could plunge into a coma right then and there.

“He says he might be in love with Victoria.”

There was a moment of silence. If there were birds outside I imagined them freezing and plopping to the ground as they did in cartoons. “Excuse me?” Jackie asked with eyebrows as high as her hairline. “No excuses.” I muttered. “They were his words not mine.”

“What do you mean he’s in love with Victoria? What did she do to him? Why is he doing this to us? Why is he doing this to you?” She babbled in a rage, and suddenly I remembered why I didn’t like Vic in the first place.

Vic had lost whatever respect I had ever had towards her ever since we stopped being friends. Everyone goes through tough times, and when she lost both her parents I was her rock. I helped her go through everything, put her life back together and yet in one night she turned everything down. My advice, my help, my friendship, she dropped me like a hot potato. We were fifteen at the time and I thought she was going through a phase, but things with Vic just got worse. She got involved in drugs and gangs and alcohol. It was impossible to spot her without a cigarette in her hand. Vic picked on everyone, especially bullied a kid named Abbey who inconveniently was Jackie’s friend. Abbey committed suicide.

“What if she’s like forcing him? What if she threatened him into bringing her here?” Jackie went on babbling. “Mia I don’t believe he’s possibly serious. Use your twin telepathy bond thing.”

“Jackie no offense but can you please go away? I think I’m coming down with a migraine, and he’s dead serious. I didn’t need any telepathy. It was written all over his face.”

~

Red stones lined the shore. A girl dressed in white walked by them, as though they were guiding her someplace. Gold strands of hair whipped around her. The stones began leading her deeper into the ocean. She followed without hesitation. Her face as pale as snow and body as slender as an hourglass. Black hands reached out of the ocean and grabbed the girl by her feet. The girl flailed and choked on salty water. A burning sensation rippled through her nose and lungs. Her air was cut off. Something was being stabbed into her stomach a thousand times. Pain was coursing through her body, open wounds everywhere.

I awoke with a start. I was having one of my attacks.

__________

Love/Hate? Comment :)