HLS - Chapter 25 (Picture of Isaac)

Only one thought was on my mind: Why the heck was my best friend holding a knife to my brother’s throat?

 “Oh, hi Mia!” Jackie greeted casually. As soon as she whipped her head to glance at me, Rowan knocked the knife out of her hand and pushed her off of him.

“What the hell was that for?” Rowan glared.

“You know exactly why!” Jackie replied with just as much venom.

“What’s going on?” I wondered aloud.

“Leash. This bitch needs a leash.” Rowan muttered before shouldering past me and exiting the room.

Jackie grimaced at his insult. “Someone’s on his man period.”

I crossed my arms and gave her a questioning look. “What just happened?”

Jackie sighed but didn’t elaborate. She wrapped her skinny fingers around my forearm and dragged me out of the room. I rooted my feet to the ground in an act of defiance. I wasn’t just going to pretend that what I saw wasn’t weird. I needed answers!

“Jackie-

“Fine, fine! Stubborn ass. I asked him if Victoria was blackmailing him and if we were all in danger from her gangster friends. He got all offended and defensive and started throwing insults and accusations at me. I then remembered that ninja movie we saw last week and thought: What the heck? And so I tried one of those cool moves and it worked and it was super cool!” She said in a rush.

“You tried to kill my brother?” I asked horrified.

“No.” Jackie drawled with an eye roll. “He’s strong. He was going to throw me off him sooner or later.”

“Did you get any answers?” I asked hopefully. Vic could have blackmailed him into bringing her here. Was she blackmailing him into faking a relationship too?

“If you hadn’t interfered I might’ve.” Jackie huffed.

“If I hadn’t ‘interfered’ you would be dead by now.” I clarified.

“I’d rather be dead than watch their PDA!” Jackie replied with a shudder.

I rolled my eyes. Drama Queen.

“The guys have been waiting outside forever.” I stated. Her face lit up like a birthday candle and she pranced to the front door. “My boo boo!” She yelled running down the wooden walkway. I stared at her tiny figure getting further and further in astonishment. I think that’s the fastest I’ve seen her run.

The sun was high and bright in the sky and the water was as mesmerizing as ever. Jackie and Zach were a few feet ahead of us holding hands. The four of us walked down the length of the beach towards the little stores and cafes. It was more populated here for two obvious reasons: the food and music.

Jackie and Zach stopped at an ice cream parlor and I watched in amusement as she leaned over the counter, immediately flirting with the young cashier. Zach, the poor boy, looked extremely jealous.

“Keep it in your pants!” Abe hollered causing Jackie’s eyes to shoot in our direction with a frown on her face. I could almost see the light bulb going off in that pretty little head of hers. I guess some habits are hard to come clean of.

“Don’t blame her, Zach.” I said. “He is sort of cute.” I admitted, giving the cashier a shy once-over. Zach and Jackie were too much of a cute couple to argue over her stupid hormonal habits. Zach didn’t reply but his eyes stopped spitting fire at the unfortunate boy. I turned to the cashier with an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry about that.”