Chapter 4

I walked up to the tall building. A guy from school, Walter, claimed Carmen lived in one of its apartments. I was overly pissed off at what she did, whatever it was. Jackie losing her phone the night Zach got a terrible text from it, and Carmen miraculously being Zach’s first option was just too much of a coincidence.

I rang the doorbell and waited. I had never been so angry with another person. Sure, I got into the occasional argument. But, never have I ever wanted to rip someone’s head off so badly. She had hurt my best friend. Zach was also my friend, and she had hurt him too. The door opened to reveal a man who looked to be in his late thirties. His tie was askew. He wore an expensive watch, and stared at me with tired eyes. He looked like he just got back from work.

"Good afternoon.” I greeted politely. “I’m looking for Carmen Stone.” I said.

The man frowned. "Carmen?" He asked.

I glanced at the address Walter had given me, and bit my lip. I was at the right place, wasn’t I?

"Oh." The man sighed. “Is your friend the redhead I always find walking around in this building?” He asked.

I cringed when he called her my friend but managed a tight smile and nodded. The man raised his eyebrows as though he found this discovery quite anomalous.

“She lives across the street.” He said.

"Thank you. Sorry, for disturbing." I blush, ashamed. Had I known it wasn’t the right address I would’ve saved myself the embarrassment.

Why would Walter give me a wrong address?

I hurried out of the building, and looked to my left, on my right was empty land. 

There was a thin road that stretched out all the way to the back, I crossed the street and found a small street leading to a house in the corner. I frowned. I knocked on the door, for there was no doorbell. The house wasn’t in tiptop shape. I was almost entirely sure whoever would open the door would tell me I got the address wrong. Again.

I jumped slightly as I heard a scream, followed by the sound of a crash. Fear bloomed in my chest. I took a step back, ready to leave. The front door swung open, revealing a man with a big round belly and greasy hair. He reeked of alcohol.

I winced and took another step back. I gasped when he lunged forward, and grasped my arm in an iron grip. He wrenched me towards him. I screamed.

"I’m sorry! I got the wrong address! Get your hands off of me!" I screamed as he touched me. My heart was beating so fast, I thought I might pass out. He laughed and I almost vomited at the smell of his breath. I heard a sob. My eyes swung in the direction of it and I gaped.

Carmen? What the hell was Carmen doing here? I forgot all about the sleazy man’s hands on me, and stared in horror at the bruises forming on her arms and legs. A substance suspiciously akin to blood dribbled down her face. Our eyes met. I heard her suck in a breath.

"Mia." She whispered, shocked. Her once pretty face was now soaked with tears.

I snapped my attention back to the disgusting man. He groped me painfully and I let out a blood-curdling scream. I bit his fat arm. His eyes flashed with anger. He grabbed me by the hair and threw me into the house like a rag doll. He locked the door.

I moaned in pain as I saw black dots dancing in my peripheral vision. He’d thrown me into a wall. In an instant, Carmen was at my side. Her eyes were wet as she patted me over, as though she were looking for any open wounds.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed.

I mumbled incoherent words.

She gave me a frightened look and I shrunk back. I could see the man coming closer. However, this time he held a bottle of alcohol in his hand. He swung it dangerously. My eyes zeroed in on the bottle. I watched with my heart in my throat as the liquid inside of it swished.