Prologue

PROLOGUE

"Pardon?" I said. Surely, I must've heard incorrectly. I stared at the aged man seated before me until he averted his gaze.

"Mia, I should not have told you. It was my mistake. I’m going to get fired for this." He replied. Worry lines etched onto his forehead. The hard glint in his eyes reflected his regret.

I could only stare at him, my face pale. I gripped the sides of the chair I sat on in his office. I leaned forward. My expression gave away my inner turmoil. I was unsure whether if I wanted to know more or if I wanted to block my ears and cry out in denial.

"I'm going to..” I took a quivering breath. “-die in less than four months.”

I waited for a shake of the head, a crack of a smile, any form of reassurance. I was greeted with none, whatsoever. I felt a string inside me break. At the sight of my tears, the doctor blanched. His expression morphed into one of pity and discomfort.

"I'm very sorry." He whispered.

I kept quiet. I feared that if I opened my mouth, loud sobs would escape my lips. I wished the nightmare would end. I hadn’t experienced a horrid dream in such a long time, that I thought this was the universe’s cruel way of punishing me.

The office didn’t fold into darkness. I wasn’t soaked by cold water into consciousness. The doctor remained seated before me, trying unsuccessfully to maintain a stoic front.

"Don't tell my family." I murmured.

"Pardon?" He said.

"Don't tell my parents. Don't tell anyone." I raised my voice.

He gave me a skeptical look. "Dear, I'm afraid I can't do that." He said.

" –but” I tried to cut in.

"They’re your parents. I am in no position to withhold such information." He stated.

"You said there isn't a cure, and that it's a rare disease." I replied flatly. "Why should you burden them with the news now? Let me tell them later."

He gave me a long look. I could imagine the gears in his mind working, thinking my words through.

"I promise to tell them before the summer ends. Please, let me spend my last summer with them happily." I whispered the last part.

He cast his gaze downward. When he raised his head, his eyes were filled with doubt. Eventually, he nodded.

"You give me your word that you’ll tell them before it’s too late?" He questioned.

"I promise." I assured.

There was nothing left to discuss. With that said, I exited his office with a heavy heart. It felt like the world weighed down on my shoulders and the ground couldn’t guarantee me stability anymore. I shook my head and straightened my spine.

I refuse to let some pathetic disease wreck my life and the lives of the ones I care about.