Chapter Thirty-Four: Back Room Meetings with Frilly Aprons

Rey’s POV

I was in the kitchen again. Apparently, I had to do chores to help out around the castle. Adrian was making me do it; in no way would I be doing this of my own free will. He actually jumped on my bed and threatened to fall on me unless I went with him. So now I was washing dishes.

“Thank you for doing this” he said gratefully, mentioning to the mountain of dishes that we had yet to do. I grunted in response. I wasn’t here because I wanted to be. He forced me.

“I mean,” he continued, “Momma would have been stuck doing all these by herself and she really needs to relax. I’m glad we’re doing her this favor.”

“I just don’t see why she made us wear frilly pink aprons and boxers” I muttered, looking at all three girls watching us and eating chocolate. Momma had actually told us to strip down to undies and to wear the aprons. It wasn’t possible to feel more foolish than I did right now. Especially when I was wearing smiley face boxers. Adrian grinned at me.

“We’re the entertainment” he said, nodding at the girls. I looked out of the corner of my eye again and noticed that Mani’s eyes were firmly trained on Adrian’s behind, right along with Momma. Lynn’s were stuck on me. At least I have one fan, I thought, honestly annoyed. Adrian’s butt wasn’t all that amazing. Still, a little voice in my head told me that I was lying to myself. Adrian added an extra sway to his movements and the girls sighed. I snorted and Momma shot me a hard look. I still couldn’t understand why every girl went gaga over this guy. I mean, sure he’s handsome, and kind, and according to Annabelle, he tastes amazing too… Yeah, I think I’ll shut up now.

“Enjoying the view?” Adrian called over his shoulder, amused.

“You know it Honey!” Momma whooped. He chuckled and handed me a plate to dry. I snatched it from him, pissed off now. This bastard liked this, didn’t he? Self absorbed jerk. I grumped along with my dishes and tried to get it over with but Adrian wasn’t making it easier. He was like a model that had the runway to himself. How full of himself was this guy? But then I saw her. Mary. She was walking through the kitchen almost passively but stopped when she got to Adrian.

“Again Adrian? You know that you’re encouraging these girls” she muttered to him on her way. He gave her a bright grin and she couldn’t help but smile back. I could pretend this guy wasn’t perfect all I like but the truth was that if I were a girl, I’d totally fall head over heels for him. I got grabbed Mary and looked at Momma.

“May I be excused for a minute? I need to talk to her” I said, not really wanting to leave without her permission but needing to talk to Mary.

“Sure Honey. Just don’t forget to come back. Lynn will miss you” she said, a smile on her face. I nodded and let Mary lead me to a back room where all the human canned food was stored.

“When can we leave?” I asked right away in the lowest tone possible. She sighed and gave me a half hearted smile.

“I guess you won’t consider staying, would you?” she asked almost wistfully. I shook my head.
“Why the hell would I?” I asked. She picked at hem of her dress.

“Because the king is so much more bearable and happier now that Annabelle is here” she said. I made a rude sound and her eyes shot to mine.

“What? I may be helping you leave but I’m stuck here. Her being here might just make my life a little easier” she muttered.

“Why don’t you just leave?” I asked, finding the obvious answer.

“Believe me, I would if I could” she sighed. I sensed that she didn’t want to say any more on this so I moved on.