Chapter Three: Selena's Blues

Hi! The next chapter up and I made it longer. You guys know the drill, FAN COMMENT VOTE!!!! but mostly COMMENT!

I was at my desk wondering if there was anything more boring than English. My head in my arms, eyes half closed in boredom, I'm sure it wasn't a pretty picture. Selena was fast asleep in the desk next to mine. I smiled. She looked like a little kid in middle school when she fell asleep at her desk. The teacher was droning on about an essay most of the class had already done. His voice filled the class. You'd think that we would take he opportunity to talk and goof around. I mean, this teacher is deaf in one ear and he was just writing a whole load of crap that none of us care about so what's stopping us? Nothing. It's close to the end of the day and people always seem to be drowsy and uninterested in anything else. Besides, most of the people in this class don't get along. They would just as soon throw a punch at the person next to them then talk to him or her. I always found it weird. Anyway, I think I'm gonna take a nap. That boring, droning voice helps me along and pretty soon I'm asleep at my desk. Good night.

I was being shaken. I opened one bleary eye to a grinning Selena.

“Who's the little hypocrite? You're the little hypocrite!” she says, talking to me like a dog and tweaking my nose.

“Why am I a hypocrite?” I stretch and yawn. The clock says one o eight on the clock in big red numbers. About a minute to go.

“You always say, and I quote 'You shouldn't keep sleeping in class Selena, it's bad for you and plain rude'” she said it in a lofty voice. I rolled my eyes.

“What else could I do? I've had this essay done for like a week.” I packed up my stuff in my Ed Hardy bag.

“Well imagine it was today every day. That's how it's like for me” she got her own stuff and walked out the door with me.

“Yeah, but you never get any work done and that's the main reason I slept today, so you have no excuse” I said, raising my voice in the halls. It was her turn to roll her eyes. Our next class was an art class where we could pretty much do whatever we want as long as we turn in the project. I don't know why I'm taking this class, I can't draw or paint to save my life. Selena is the same, she only took it because I was taking it and I took it because it was the last elective I could choose. She always popped in her earbuds and dozed off. They have an understanding, this teacher and her. If she can pass finals, she can get the lowest passing grade. I don't know how she did it but she's still passing. The girl can work magic. I have to actually try each project. Lucky me. Today wasn't so bad though. We were practicing techniques for water painting. All we had to do was paint a different design on each of the four papers we were given with the techniques. Easy.

I was totally in a zone. I concentrated on nothing but making my paper as presentable as possible and the bell scared the crap outta me when it rang. Selena woke up and put her earbuds away. I put my paintings on the drying rack and talked to Selena for a while. Every kid with half a brain always rushes to the exit as if there were a fire. Because of that, the over crowded issue, Selena and I always stay a couple minutes after to avoid the kid traffic. After about ten minutes, we walk home. Today was an awful day; it was raining all day and it continued when we got out so it was more like racing home. We still got soaked by the time we reached my house. We both got to the bathroom to get towels.

“Do you have anything I can wear?” Selena asks, looking down at her soaked clothes.

“I think I have a pair of your shorts from when you stayed the night and a shirt. That good?” I say, looking though my closet. I had a lot of her clothes and she had a lot of mine. We stayed over at each others' house a lot. It was just more convenient. When we don't plan to have a sleep over of sorts, we go to one of our houses and stay there till nine. We lived right next to each other so, again, it was more convenient. We just hang out with my brother Jake until he leaves to do whatever it is that he does. I don't actually know. He's six years older than us and is always with his girlfriend of four years. The make a sweet couple and I hope that they get married soon. You might be wondering as to the relationship status of Selena. For some reason, she always goes for the total bum-high-school-dropout type. Her current boyfriend is named Jaime. I don't like him personally but Selena always has stars in her eyes when she looks at the guy so I have to suck it up and be civil. Tell you the truth, I get damned tired of threatening each and every one of her boyfriends. They could really hurt her and I don't want her hurt so I always threaten to kill them if they mistreat her. If she's gonna go for the bum type than I could at least make sure that she is safe while doing it. I had given Jaime the speech just one short week ago and I'm pretty proud of myself. It was a very creative threat that I was fully willing and ready to hold out (It involved castration and going to the police about the drugs he sells. I could just imagine the possibilities with him in jail. That whole 'don't drop the soap' thing sounds like a good punishment for that guy). The thing about me is that I get angry really easy and I learned how to win in a fight at a really really early age under the guidance of my mom. She was a great street fighter with fire for a soul. I miss her like crazy. Rey usually helps out with it, threatening people is like a bonding exercise for us. Yeah, I know we're weird. He cares for Selena like a sister. Anyway, Jaime is the biggest loser I had ever met and it was my pleasure to threaten his life. It was fun. We changed and went downstairs to see TV. My brother was just leaving.

“Don't wait up” he kissed my cheeks and left in a rush. She sat down on the sofa with a huff. Friends was on and we love the show. We watch the show, eat whatever is in the fridge and then watch Supernatural reruns until the new episodes start. She was looking at her phone during the commercial break with a gleam in her eyes. Oh no, I know that look.

“What's wrong?” I asked, sighing. I already knew the problem.

“Jaime” she growled

“What about him?” I said, looking through the mail.

“He won't stop dealing” she said.

“I told you he wouldn't” I put some popcorn in the microwave.

“Why does he like it so much? Why can't he just stop? I was talking about this with him last week and I can't figure it out.” she came into the kitchen, tired with shouting so I could hear her.

“He's a bum” I grunted as I reached up to the top shelf of the pantry for some cinnamon.

“He could get hurt. Or even worse, he could end up in jail.” she dropped her head in her hands

“That's what I'm hoping for” I sprinkled it over the finished popcorn.

“Why are you so mean?” she pouted at me from over her hands.

“Because I don't care about him. It's you that I care about, it's you that could end up in jail. Jesus, you could end up shot or” I pointed at her but stopped to think. “I don't even know! That's how bad whatever could happen to you could get.” I sat next to her. “Look, I don't approve of the guy and you know it but I really do think you should leave him.”

“I can't” she said into her hands.

“You have to. This guy is seriously into some bad stuff and I don't want you to get caught up in it. He's even worse then the guys you usually like”

“He is, isn't he?” she said, expression turning dreamy. I shook my head. I would never understand her dismal taste in guys. Maybe it was that whole 'Bad Boy' thing? I don't know. I looked at the clock. It was eight, time for Supernatural!

“Selena! Get your behind in the living room, it's time to watch Supernatural!” we hurried into our seats. Yeah yeah, call us dorks or whatever but we've been watching Supernatural since it come out when we were seven. I swear I love Sam and Dean, I would totally marry them and have their awesome children! But I love the characters not the actors so Rey has nothing to worry about. Supernatural was like a rock in our lives. We know that if we tune the TV to CW at eight, we'll see it. Doesn't matter if it's a rerun or a new one, we were enthralled.

We were watching the small clip they always showed us at the end of the show. These clips were like a preview. In it, we see Sam getting married to a mystery woman. Both our jaws dropped at the same time. Who would he marry? Why would he marry her? Why not us? I guess we'll find out next week. Selena left right after that with promises to call me in the morning. She always calls me in the morning to wake me up. I look at our light green door after she leaves. If I could, I would get her to stop seeing Jaime. He's been in jail twice and I don't want her to get caught up in something I can't help her with. Thing is, she makes a mule look downright malleable. For such a little person, you can't make her budge an inch. I've tried.

It will pick up pace, hopefully in the next chapter. Hope you liked it! :)