Chapter Forty-Three: Less Than Ideal

I woke up with a pounding headache.

God, I have been getting way more pains in these last few months than I have in my entire life. I hate vampires!

“Is she awake?” I thought for a moment that I recognized the voice.

I didn't move a muscle. If movies, books, and experience have taught me anything is that it is mostly beneficial to pretend to be asleep when people are talking about you near you. I've never seen it go wrong.

“I can't tell. She's a freaking bloodsucker. No breathing patterns” a woman answered, sounding like she was apologizing for something.

“Well, notify me as soon as she wakes up. I know that losing most of her kingdom is hard on her but it needed to be done. Besides, I'm not entirely convinced that she's not really in touch with her vampiric side” that first voice said. I heard the sound of heavy footsteps straight after, along with a heavier sigh, coming from the woman.

“I know you're up” the woman said.

I inwardly shrugged.

“What can I say? You're right” I rose up easily, quickly scanning the room.

The woman was a kindly looking, with her hair tied in a bandanna, wearing jeans and a nice blouse. The room was simple. Colored yellow, it was bare of everything but a bed.

I turned my attention back to the woman.

“Where am I?” I wasn't fooling myself. These people were all humans, vampire hunters if I wasn't mistaken.

So why wasn't I dead right now?

“In bed, of course” she laughed nervously. I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Where are Rey and Adrian?” I asked, tense. I needed them near me. The mere thought of them in danger was enough to drive me insane.

“On their way, relax” the woman soothed, reaching out to touch my shoulder. I calmed almost instantly, though not relaxing completely.

“What are you?” I asked almost sleepily, although I had intended to snarl the question with pure hostility.

I knew one thing with absolute certainty. She was not human, not by any stretch of imagination. Though, she did did have a heartbeat. I was confused.

“A witch, honey” she said calmly, continuing to stroke my hair.

I didn't even wonder at the fact that witches apparently existed. I was too mellowed out to care.

But I wasn't too tricked out to notice when Adrian rushed through the door.

“What are you doing to her?” he directed the question at the witch while holding my cheeks and examining me for any visible injury.

“Nothing. Just calming her down. She was freaking out over the fact that she didn't know where her primary was” the woman was a wonder, she really was. Her voice was steady and smooth and didn't allow for any nonsense. Although she was manipulating my emotions right now, I kinda liked her. Anyone brave enough to mess with me has to be noted.

“Rey is still asleep. You've been passed out for a few days” he told me, trying to soothe my ache to have them both safe and sound. I nodded. He helped me more than the lady had.

“Let her go” without taking his chocolate brown eyes off mine, he commended the lady. She huffed but agreed, taking her hands off.

“Is that any way to talk to your mother?” she grumbled. He grinned at her, immediately taking away any sour feelings.