Chapter Forty-Two: Taken 2

DEDICATED TO vampirepriness FOR REKINDLING MY LOVE FOR THIS STORY

The entire castle was getting ready for the celebration. No, it wasn't any sort of marriage thing. Apparently, it was to break the bond between me and David. Honestly? I couldn't care less. David could go die in a ditch right now and I wouldn't care.

I was feeling more like a vampire woman every minute. It was great.

"I need you to wear this" Alex handed me a white dress. I looked it over curiously.

"Why?" I asked. Not that it really mattered. I was planning on wearing sweats to this ceremony that everyone thinks is so important.

"It signifies purity. Just do me the favor and put it on. It's just another part of ridding your soul from the tint of David's" he muttered.

"Whatever" I sighed, going to the bathroom to put the bloody thing on.

*****

I was standing outside, barefoot and sinking in an inch of snow, annoyed to all hell. I didn't want to be here but I suppose that it must be done.

Vampires apparently didn't get cold because I felt nothing, not even with the snow around my feet. Or was it that since we were already dead, we couldn't feel it? Maybe we were so cold already that the snow wasn't even a temperature change.

Hmm...

About a fourth of the royals were here, a priestess presiding over the ceremony. Rey was behind me, beside Adrian.

To be honest, these last few days I had been planning every single detail of our escape. It hadn't been easy, I'll tell you that. I wasn't even sure it would work but it had to.

I didn't like to be trapped, no matter how gilded the cage was, for someone else's gain. If I had come here willingly or at least knowingly, I might have felt different. But the fact of the matter was that though I couldn't hate the prince or the people that I was expected to rule over, I still wanted a normal life. I hadn't asked to be responsible for any number of people and I hadn't asked to be married to a vampire prince.

So I wanted out.

Besides, I was sure that the prince could find some other willing vamp to marry. She'd probably be way more qualified for the job too.

"Be wary tonight. Something is going to happen" a voice whispered in my ear.

"What?" I whispered back.

"Our chance to escape will come tonight. Whatever you do, don't struggle against the force that is going to storm through this gathering. But be alert" Adrian's voice was the slightest disturbance in the air that only I was able to hear.

"Okay" a simple answer but my mind was in a whirlwind, body instantly alert and aware. Tonight was the night that we had to take an opportunity we couldn't recognize. All my planning had gone to waste but it was so worth it.

I was ready to blow this joint.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by masculine yelling.

"You can't do this to me!" David roared, restrained by several vampires. The prince walked a few steps behind them, dressed in a black suit that looked like it had come right out of a cheesy vampire movie set in the time where movies were still black and white.

"You won't feel like this for her once we rip the bond" he said calmly. David strained against their hold, managing to shake off a few vampires. They were quickly replaced.

"Why can't you just let me love her?" he directed the question to the prince.

"Because she isn't yours" he answered.