Chapter 2.

*Aiken*

It was pitch black and I was running. Running as fast as I could. But I knew, no matter how far or fast I went, he would always find me. It was the inevitable. So when I looked behind me I was surprised to see nothing, no one. Turning back around I screamed as a hand shot out to my throat, squeezing the life out of me. I knew this was the end.

Jolting up awake, I tried to calm my breathing. Having my breath slightly under control I opened my eyes noticing that my light was on, door open, with my mom sitting at the edge of my bed with a worried expression.

"Shit mom, I'm sorry. I guess I screamed out loud again, huh?" I whispered while running my fingers through my sweaty hair. Her worried expression quickly turned into a sad smile. "You didn't wake me up sweetie. I was coming to tell you that it was time to get up and ready for school. It's the first day of your Senior year. Don't want you to be late, now do we?"

I studied my mom as she talked and then got ready to leave my room. She was such a beautiful woman. At times she reminded me of an angel with her unruly blonde hair and blazing blue eyes. She was the best mom anyone could have! Caring, knowing, loving but she also knows the right buttons to push, at the right times, just to joke and get on your nerves. I couldn't ask for better.

"Alright, thanks mom. I'll be downstairs soon."

Putting her hands on her hips, she said while glaring, "You better be," before winking and skipping out the door. I chuckled to myself, lightly shaking my head. Her bark was worse than her bite... well, some times.

Walking to my closet, I quickly grabbed some underwear, jeans, and shirt. After showering and dressing. I looked in the mirror, ran my hands through my hair, then bounded down the stairs. Like always, mom was in the kitchen finishing up breakfast. Heading for the table, I sat beside my dad watching as he sat the morning paper down and took a sip of his coffee. "So, son, are you ready for school to be over with?"

I raised my eyebrow at him and joked, "Dad, it's only the first day of school. I haven't even made it to second semester, better yet graduation. Trying to get rid of me already? "

Throwing his head back like it was the funniest thing he ever heard, I waited for him to settle down. "Son, you are always welcome here. I just figured you'd be a little more excited," he exclaimed with all the love shining in his eyes. I smiled, finishing the eggs mom had placed in front of me. Hopping out of my chair, I grabbed my bag by the door, yelling a quick "Love you," before heading to my motorcycle.

Putting the key into the ignition, I felt the machine purr to life, and took off. This is what it felt like to be free. To let the worry just wash away and have nothing to think about except the open road. No nightmares, worried expressions, or questions. Just freedom. But pulling into Prarie's High parking lot, I felt that freedom slowly slip away.