Chapter 40

Vanessa

The next day when lunch came around I was shocked to see another table joined to our original one. I caught up to Leila in the lunch line and tapped her on her arm.

"Hey, what's up with the extra table?" I asked

"It looks like Kayden and his gang are going to be sitting with us from now on"

"Seriously?!"

"Yupp, I was just as shocked as you were," Leila said moving up in the line.

Hmmm.... sloppy joe or alfredo? Yeah, I was definitely going for alfredo; I really wasn't for trying my luck with whatever mystery meat they put in that. When we got back to the table I took a seat between Dylan and Kayden. At first, everything was awkward and tense.

"So, did anyone see this coming?" Tony asked

Sadie and Chloe giggled "Not in a million years!"

Everyone laughed. I had a feeling there was another meaning behind their words. I shook my head and dug into my food before I could dwell on it any longer. It didn't make sense for me to be so paranoid over something so small. I sat back and smiled as everyone started making small conversation and the tension dissolved. The rest of the day flew by fast and I had to tell the guys that I wasn't able to hang out today; the looks they gave me almost made me cancel all my previous plans...almost. Today was all about magic.

Dad gave me a key to the compartment our grimoire was in. The key was in the shape of a butterfly and had an intricate design that wrapped around the entire key; with red gems that seemed to be placed carefully. But he made me promise not to do any big spells without him. I was perfectly fine with waiting for him, plus I wasn't ready for any big spells. I walked upstairs to my parents' bedroom and walked toward the bed until I reach the top of the headboard. It had an intricate design that twisted and twirled, in the middle was a golden keyhole; a perfect size for the key. I just thought it was for decoration. I would have never have thought that an actual key would go inside of it. I placed the key in the hole and turned gently. At first, nothing happened and I thought I didn't turn it firmly enough, but there was a series of soft clicks and the headboard began to rise slowly.

To be honest the whole thing kind of startled me. There were so many things that I had to get used to and so many secrets that I would now have to keep. Sitting in the compartment was the grimoire; it was beautiful. I had expected an ancient, raggedy book, but it was only slightly aged. I assumed there was a preservation spell cast on it. I splayed my hands across the deep red cover of the grimoire and proceeded to open the book. I was giddy with excitement as I thought about the plethora of spells there were to try out.

I scanned the spells until I saw one that changes your eye color. I had to give this a try!

"Un , dous, tres , ollos mudan para min, "

Un, dous, tres verde- oliva o ouro que eu vexo . "

" Polo poder de tres, que así sexa"

I took a nervous breath and repeated the incantation three times as told to. I suddenly felt a surge of energy course through my entire body. Even with such a small spell, there was so much power behind it and it left me on a magical high. I jumped off the bed and ran to the bathroom and gasped. It worked! I now had golden eyes and they didn't look half bad. I let out a squeal and searched for another spell. Oooh, a spell to change your hair color. Now, this should be fun! Hmm, apparently I needed a colored candle. I'm pretty sure mom has a bunch of those lying around somewhere. I walked into my parent's bathroom and looked in the cabinets until I came across the candles.