Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Dali Cordorva

I had my usual dream. A brown wolf appeared before me. The wolf seemed much larger than an ordinary wolf and had smooth, luscious fur. In my dreams, the wolf always followed me almost as if it was my silent protector. I never really understood why I dreamed of the wolf or what it meant. After the dream became a reoccurring thing, I decided reading up about it on Google wouldn't hurt. The majority of the sites indicated that the wolf was a representation of support or a guardian. The dream itself wasn't too crazy, so I honestly didn't want to overthink it. That was before the dreams changed...

On this particular night, my dream started off pretty normally. The brown wolf protectively circled me. I dropped to my knees and held my arms out to the wolf. The wolf stops and stares at me intensely before coming towards me. I was happy that the wolf actually came to me. It usually kept its distance, and my usual attempts at getting close to it often ended up in failure. I giggled as the wolf licked the palm of my hand. I threaded my fingers through the wolf's fur and scratched behind its ear. The wolf hummed in content before laying its massive head on my lap.

"You're not as scary as I thought."

The wolf seemed to nuzzle deeper into my lap. We seemed to go on comfortably like this for a while before the wolf tensed and a low growl emitted from the back of its throat. The wolf began circling me again suddenly on high alert.

"What's wrong? What's got you all riled up?"

The wolf let out a sharp growl. It was short and vicious, much like a warning. That's when I saw it, the inky blackness that climbed up the walls. The inky blackness seemed to swallow everything in its path, and because I'm so damn lucky, I seemed to be what it wanted most. That's when my fear spiked. What would happen if the darkness sucked me in? What lies on the other side of the darkness? I knew there was more darkness to come and maybe even hell. As it inched closer and closer to me, I was knocked down by an unknown force, but whatever it was, it wasn't right. I knew this was the end. I knew that the wolf could only keep the darkness at bay for so long. I shut my eyes tight and waited for the darkness to claim me, but it never did. I open my eyes to see my room erupt in flames. I scanned my room, searching for the wolf, but it was nowhere to be found. I now preferred darkness. I needed to find a way out. I couldn't die, not like this. Before I had a chance to find a way to safety, flames reached out, licking over my skin, causing me to shriek in agony.

I awoke panting, and I was sure that I was sweating. I was wondering why the dream changed so suddenly and what it could possibly mean, although I probably didn't want to find out. Before I could dwell on my dream any longer, I got up and took a shower.

I combed out my silky black hair before deciding to curl it. I looked in the mirror and smiled at what I saw. My olive-toned skin looked fresh and hydrated, my olive green eyes sparkled with excitement, and my makeup looked flawless. I was more than ready for my first day of school.

Once I was done, I packed my bag and jumped into my electric blue Camaro that I got for my 16th birthday. When I started my car, my ring tone "My Main" by Mila J came on, and I knew it was my best friend, Leila.

"Hey, what's up?"

"I was wondering if you could come to pick me up. My stupid brother was supposed to drop me off and completely ditched me."

"No problem. I'm on my way."

When I got to her house, I honked twice, and she came running down to the car.

"Thanks, you're a lifesaver. I wasn't trying to make that hike to school."

"You know I got you, baby."

When we got to school, we headed to our lockers. We were lucky to get our lockers right next to each other. As I was opening my locker, I felt two hands wrap around my waist, and when I turned around, Emmett greeted me with a kiss.