Chapter Nineteen: Grudge Match

It was the day afterward, and it was hot and muggy.

Ronald had been escorted to a cell with a barred window, plenty of straw, and a bedroll. Benarus dungeons were universally clean, at least. He had long since destroyed the torture machines his parents and brother had indulged in. Lady Fayn had not since she was fighting in the tournament. Relma stood within the stands, waiting as the time for the matches grew steadily closer.

She was going to have to fight Fayn. If she lost, Ronald would hang. If she won, Fayn would hang. Relma wasn't enthusiastic about it either.

"I can't believe everyone is so dead set on blaming Ronald," said Relma.

"I can," said Estela.

Relma looked up, surprised at her matter-of-fact response. "Really?"

"Sir Frederick and I spent a while in Artarq, remember?" said Estela with a shrug. "We had to travel through Antion. People don't like Lady Pandora or Aren much there. And they regard you as their puppet."

They thought Relma was Aunt Pan's puppet. But, of course, that wasn't true at all. Relma was nobody's puppet; she was acting by her own desires. "Why?"

Estela shrugged again and brushed dark hair from her face while adjusting her cloak. She looked nice that way. "They say she meddles in things."

"No, I mean, why would they think I'm a puppet?" said Relma.

"You were raised by Pandora and have no experience in statecraft," said Estela. "If you took the throne tomorrow, you'd have to rely entirely on advisors. So who would be Aren and Pandora? They're almost right."

"But Aunt Pan hasn't even been to Antion in years," said Relma.

"It doesn't matter," said Estela. "The Lady Rusara is held in high regard by virtually everyone. She is feared but also greatly respected. Rusara and Pandora hate each other."

"Don't display your ignorance, woman," scoffed William. "No one hates Lady Pandora. We just don't regard her as important."

Estela looked furious. Relma put a hand on her shoulder. "But she was chosen by Elranor." She was trying to change the subject before someone started a blood feud. It worked. After a glare, Estela sat back down.

"That was a long time ago," said William. "These days, people like to run their governments without listening to what a wise old sorcerer has to say."

"Well then, why does everyone like Rusara?" asked Relma. Keep him talking about himself and not Escor.

"Rusara doesn't tell people what to do," said William. "She tells people stories."

Relma blinked in surprise, quite deliberately. For all his professed dislike of displayed ignorance, William liked to explain things. It made him feel important. "I don't understand."

"Rusara never tries to throw her weight around," said William. "She just makes alliances and takes care of her own concerns. And she tells stories to children on the side.

"Pandora doesn't do that."

"What do you mean?" asked Relma.

"Have you heard of the Battle of Desora?" asked William.

"Yes," said Relma. "It was fought up in Artarq, wasn't it?"

"It was my father's earliest military triumph," said William. "He caught the Calishan fleet while it was unloading its forces and drove them into the sea. Father then quickly brooked a truce that ended the war."

"Right, I remember," said Relma. "Aren said that Argath Marn was made governor."

"Yes. Argath Marn was allowed to buy the position instead of my father, who had earned it," said William. "And he ran the place into the ground, trying to recoup his losses."