Chapter Seven: The Scarred Boy

It was a reunion Relma had wanted for a long time now.

Of course, she had to leap some fences to get it, even at this stage. She'd eat a lovely meal with the other contestants though that man from before kept making snide remarks. Reginald seemed embarrassed by him and tried to reign him in but in a friendly way. He eventually distracted him by turning the subject to women. Their conversation turned to several 'conquests.' Garrick made conversation with Varsus about the problem of piracy in the Sea of Power. Frederick spoke at length with De Cathe and Estela, speaking of the wars in Escor.It seemed as if everyone was at war. And nobody could imagine a world where they weren't. It troubled Relma.

The chimera had continually brushed up against William as he spoke with Felix. The two boys seemed to be arguing, but she couldn't make it out. Relma noted that William spoke to Felix almost as an equal. Just what kind of servant was he?

And how had he even got in here? Relma supposed there was no rule against pets, but Ronald had been told to wait outside. Then again, nobody seemed to even notice Felix except her. The chimera became increasingly insistent, and even an offer of meat did not get her to stop. Finally, William stood up and slipped out. Felix and the chimera followed.

Eventually, William slipped out, and Relma took this as her cue to leave. She walked out after him and quickly got out of her armor before fitting it into a bag she'd taken with her. Then, slipping out, she began to follow them; she ran into Ronald.

That was the reunion, and she forgot at once her pursuit, got to her knees, and hugged him. Then, of course, her bag full of armor bumped him, and he winced in pain.

"Sorry," said Relma, quickly healing the bruise.

"What's in there?" asked Ronald.

"Just some stuff I'm carrying," said Relma. "Ronald, it's been months."

"Sorry I couldn't meet you earlier; Sir Frederick wanted me to get the wolves denned after our entrance," said Ronald. "Did you see it?" The halfling boy's voice was hopeful.

"You mean riding up to the tent at the last minute?" asked Relma. "Yes. Why the entrance anyway?"

"Well, he wanted to appear fashionably late," said Ronald. "Sir Frederick says it helps to appear impressive when you want to negotiate.

"So, what are you doing?"

"Oh, um, I'm following William Gabriel," said Relma. "One of the contestants in the tournament. Do you want to go with me?"

Ronald followed after her but seemed a bit concerned. "So we finally meet again after months, and the first thing you want to do is stalk one of your enemies?"

"I'm not stalking him, okay. I just heard he has a scar, but he put the helm back on before I could see it," said Relma. "And he isn't my enemy."

"He's a political rival," said Ronald. "Duke Vanion is one of the most powerful men in Antion of Haldren. Some people say he plans to become a King himself. He can't do that if you or one of your descendants reunited Harlenor, can he?" He paused.