Chapter Eight: The Start of the Tournament

The next day the tournament grounds were filled. People lined the standings, waiting for the coming matches. Other games were underway, and merchants were selling at the fair.

The contestants of the Tournament of Kings had been given a special booth. It was to the right of where Steward Benarus sat. There was a staircase leading quickly into the ring, which was a circle of white stones. Within there was no grass.

"Raleen, you are here," said Estela.

Relma sat down next to her. "Yes, I am," She looked over the eager crowds. "There are a lot of people here."

"Well, it is the largest event we've had in years," said Estela. "We're only part of it. But we're the best part."

Relma looked at the others. "There are twelve of us here, aren't there?"

"Yes," said Estela. "What of it?"

"Wait," said Relma. "If that number gets cut in half in the first round, and again in the second, we'll end up with three finalists. Who wlll fight who?"

"Traditionally, one of the finalists will fight two matches on different days," said Estela.

"Have you been to many tournaments?" asked Relma.

"I've been to a great many of them," said Estela. "Though I haven't fought in one before now." She loosened her sword in the sheath.

At that moment, Davian made his appearance. As usual, no one could say where he had come from. Everyone looked at him. He was carrying a box with a hold cut in the top. "Welcome all of you.

"Now, before the matches can begin, we will have to perform a ceremony of sorts. Within this box, you will find a series of numbered markers. Each one represents a position in the contest."Come forward and take one, one at a time."

De Cathe arose and made his way over. Reaching in, he removed it and came back. Estela looked on with interest. "De Cathe, what number did you get?"

"Two," said De Cathe, raising it.

"Two?" asked Relma.

"Yes," said De Cathe. "I will be in the first round."

Estela came forward and took hers. She came back and looked at the note she found with narrowed eyes. Then she looked up to De Cathe.

"How faired you, milady?" asked De Cathe.

"I got a one," said Estela. "I think we'll be fighting each other in the ring."

"Then I shall meet you on the field," said De Cathe.