Chapter Nine: William and Korlac

Joseph Korlac walked out from the stand. He drew a gleaming white sword and threw aside his black cloak as he did. Beneath was shining mail. His hair was dark and long, and his eyes gray. He was a tall man, though not much older than William. He wore armor that glinted in the sun and had a long black cloak around him, which he shed as he stepped into the ring.

William stood silent, his weather-beaten and crimson cloak still in the wind. They looked at one another in silent challenge. Relma wondered what they were thinking of and who his opponent was?

"Who is this Joseph Korlac?" asked Relma.

"The son of a powerful Lord of Eastern Antion," said Reginald, bringing back a tray full of food and drink. He sat down and passed some to each of them. "He shares borders with the realm of Sorn, and his family is one of the richest. They are rivals with the Gabriels."

"They're a bunch of stuck-up prigs," snapped Hawkthorne as he came forward. He munched on a chicken leg and drank beer like a starving man. "They think they're better than the Hawkthornes. All just because of a couple of their ancestors. We founded the Kingdom of Escor and get no respect for it."

"I expect they think they are better because of the present state of your house," said Varsus. "And you didn't find Escor; you founded a completely different nation in the Fairy Hills. Which is now part of Escor."

"You shut your mouth, or I'll do it for you," snapped Hawkthorne.

"By all means-" began Varsus.

"Can we not start a fight in the stands?" asked Reginald, munching on some chicken leg and drinking beer. "I don't want to make a scene."

Hawkthorne looked down. "...Right, sorry, Reginald." He drew out a flask and drank from it before sitting down.

"I haven't heard much about these Korlacs?" said Relma, sipping her drink.

"If you must know, House Korlac is a very old and venerable family," said Varsus. "They have vast tracts of land and provide much of King Andoa's armies. Although recently, they've been shut out of politics because of certain factions. Corrupt officials tend to be paranoid about those who zealously enforce the law.

"They dwell on the critical borders with the nation of Sorn and stayed loyal when they seceded. Now House Gabriel is growing in power and threatening to take that from them. Nobles never give up anything easily."

"I know what William has done," said Relma. "But what sorts of things has Joseph done?"

"Not much. Not in war, I gather," said Varsus. "But that isn't his specialty.

"He is a very firm supporter of law and managed to shut down a large ring of smugglers. Several rings. Also, root out most of the bandit gangs in his dominions."

Finally, Korlac spoke, voice polite. "William Gabriel, I have heard stories of your valor upon the battlefield. It is my great honor to fight against so well-documented a foe on this field." Well-documented? Was that a compliment? "Your exploits have ensured the flow of malas into many lands legally."

"Korlac is almost hunting malas peddlers," said Reginald. "The House believes it shouldn't be sold at all. Though he missed a shipment recently. I heard rumors that the Sorcerer's Guild has people selling it in it."

"Written word passes away while deeds remain forever," said William. His voice held an edge. "And much news has come to me of your deeds as much as my own. But, no doubt, the footpads and thieves must cower at the mention of your name. Their knives and handaxes are nothing before the noose.

"Though I wonder if perhaps you find such lightly armored fair, poor sport."

"Ouch," said Reginald.

"A poor sport for a knight, but one in which all can be of service," said Korlac. "I take more pride in my successes at sea. Unfortunately, I gather your luck has been less good in that fashion."