Chapter Six: The Combatants Assemble

The tournament day was nearly here, and the sky did not have a cloud. A brisk wind kept it from becoming too muggy or unpleasant. Unfortunately, Relma wore armor, so the wind didn't do her much good. Few things ruined a nice day, like having an inch of steel around your body. And Relma was not the only one. Even now, people signed up, hoping to write their names into history. And Relma was in her armor. Aunt Pan had painted several runes into it as well. These made her appear different.

Relma wasn't sure of the details. But now they were heading toward the large pavilion where the combatants would sign up. There was Davian at the front, with a quill and a book. He was looking very bored.

Ajax got there before them, and Pan pulled Relma behind a tree. She looked at her hard and made eye contact. "Now remember, Relma," said Aunt Pan, "this disguise will help. But you will still have to act the part."

"Why are you letting me do this, Aunt Pan?" asked Relma. "You could stop me if you wanted."

"Elranor's bloodline has a unique trait," said Pan. "They learn weapon skills very quickly. It's like learning to walk for them; you figure it out very quickly once you get past the basics. It was a gift from the Dragon God, Vrengar, I believe.

"I've seen you practicing."

"So you think I stand a chance?" asked Relma.

"No, I think you'll lose and lose badly," said Pandora. "Special traits are no substitute for experience. But you might learn something from it."

"What do you mean you won't let me sign up?" asked Ajax, voice loud.

"This tournament is for knights," said Davian. "Or, in the case of Dust Elves, official representatives of classless societies. You are neither."

"I am the son of one of the most powerful demon lords in Harlenor," snarled Ajax. "That makes my nobility. And I am an official representative."

"Demon Lord is not a title," said Davian, not looking up. "And you are a hostage. The proper paperwork for allowing you to enter has not been filled out."

Ajax looked about to strike him, but he restrained himself. Pandora quickly began making her way toward them. Relma followed behind. This could be bad.

"It bloody well is," said Ajax. "And I don't give a damn about your paperwork."

The man looked straight past him. Did he want to get his throat ripped out? Apparently so, because he pretended as though Ajax was not there. Then again, Davian had never been afraid of anything that Relma had heard of. "Lady Pandora, what may we do for you?"

"Why aren't you allowing him to enter, Davian?" asked Pandora.

"He isn't a knight," said Davian. "And the paperwork has not been filled out."

"Have you considered what it will mean if you deny him entrance?" asked Pandora. "It will be taken as a direct insult to Telix?"