Chapter Eighteen: Law and Jousting

The trumpet sounded, and the crowd roared. Two riders upon wolves charged from opposite ends of the jousting arena. Their lances were primed as they raced along the railing, colored with red rope. Their armor shined in the light, bearing the symbols of nobles. Closer and closer they went, and their lances neared.

For a moment, the entire world stood still. The riders struck one another's shields. A shower of splinters filled the air as the crowd cheered. The group mainly consisted of halflings. It was larger than Relma expected.

Relma felt strange, being one of the tallest people present, except for Estela and William. Both of them had chosen to attend, though fortunately, Felix was on some errand. Relma had nothing against him, but he made her uncomfortable.

"I don't understand why they have these jousting tournaments," said William. He was resting his chin on the one hand and looking rather bored. He didn't have a proper appreciation for the sport.

"Halflings are one of the only mortal races capable of riding wolves," said Relma. "It means they are a great asset if you have any halflings to ride them.

"There was an invasion a little before I was born. All the satyrs came out of the Black Marshes, thirsting for blood. So they swept over the border and met Steward Benarus in battle, though he wasn't a Steward then. His phalanx held the satyrs in place, and then the halflings came around and hit them from the flank.

"It completely routed them," Relma paused. "My Father, Hadleim, was in that battle."

"So was my Father and Raynald De Chevlon, my mentor. Rusara, too," said William. "And my Father too, and a great many other people. It was considered very important even in their lives. So many of the best names among the nobility fought in the Blackmarsh Campaign.

"Some of them have mentioned Hadleim in the same breath. You should be proud of your lineage."

Relma wasn't really sure she wanted to discuss her Father. He was dead anyway, and it didn't seem like talking about him had any bearing on things. She'd only wanted to establish a credible lineage. But William seemed to know more about it than she did.

"Don't you have any halflings in Haldren?" asked Relma, deciding to change the subject.

"Mostly, humans, dwarves, and minotaurs. Though there are some elves as well," said William. "A very few. And most of them are in the northern portions, where an old elven homeland once was. It has been partially reestablished.

"For now.

"And if it is destroyed, you can thank that bloody conspirator Jehair for it."

Relma looked at him in surprise. "You've met minotaurs?"

"Yes," said William, looking away.

"What are they like?" asked Relma.

"Large. They can be brutal," said William. "But most of those I've met are a fine sort."

The knights met again, and one of them was thrown from his horse this time. The victor rode forward, raising his lance in triumph as the loser was helped and taken off the field. Horns called, signaling his victory.

At that moment, Reginald approached and sat down. Estela looked up in surprise. "Reginald, you're here."

"Yes," said Reginald. "I'm looking to inquire if there are any lesser tournaments I might stand a chance at winning. I was hoping you could help."

"What's wrong with the main one?" asked Relma.

"Saphra commanded me to drop out," said Reginald, voice cold.