Chapter Thirteen: Wolf versus Wind

Relma turned her attention to the field as Davian came forward. It was Ajax and Garrick up now, and she was looking forward to the match. "My friends! Today in the ring before you are two beings of an exotic and foreign nature! They are two feral powers that have no equal in savagery or ruthlessness! On the one side, the stoic winner of the archery contest, wielding a sword as long as he is tall, I give you Garrick Estov! A Knight of the Coin!"

Garrick came forward to thunderous applause. He held his massive sword in one hand, as of yet unsheathed. Then he drew it out and spun it around one-handed before finally taking a stance.

Cheers echoed ever higher. Obviously, they were looking forward to seeing the fight as well.

"Go, Garrick!" someone yelled.

"Victory for the wolves of Telix," said someone else.

"And in the other, a mix of wolf and demon, a fiend that stalks the forests. One who nearly brought death to the Heir of Kings herself!" said Davian. "Ajax!"

No one came forward. Relma shifted. "Where is he?"

And then Ajax sprang over the stands and landed on one knee before Garrick. His head was bowed, and a brown cloak was flowing about him, which was quickly thrown aside. Cheers came as well, but there were also some boos.

People still remember the recent conflict.

"Well, that was needlessly dramatic," said Estela.

"They're booing him," noted Saphra.

"Go Ajax!" called Relma, running to the edge. "Crush him!"

Ajax glanced up and smiled. Relma smiled back, then turned to see everyone glaring at her.

"What? Garrick's a jerk. He got m- a perfectly innocent young girl shot in the chest!"

"Yes," said Estela. "That's why I want him to win. I want to crush him myself."

For a moment, silence reigned between Garrick and Ajax. Finally, the wolf boy rose to his feet and drew his sword. He was clad in light armor of lighter. Garrick, likewise, was dressed in heavy black leather. The dust elf began to circle him, and Ajax did the same.

"This will be a new experience for me. I have never fought a demon before," said Garrick.

"I haven't fought a dust elf," said Ajax. "Tell me, are you planning to swing that weapon? Or is it just for show?"

"Oh, true enough, this blade would be rather cumbersome. If it were ordinary," admitted Garrick, lowering it. "But, it is not."

And then Garrick surged forward with lightning speed. He unleashed a flurry of blows, any one of which could split a man in half. With each strike, there was a sound like thunder. But Ajax ducked and weaved, hardly seeming to move as they fought. Finally, they separated.

"He's fast with that, isn't he," said Estela.

"Ajax is keeping up with him fine, though," said Relma.

Finally, Garrick made a wide swing. Ajax ducked under it and charged, throwing aside his sword.

"I'll start slow, dust elf!"

And then he punched Garrick across the face. The elf rolled with the punch but was sent staggering backward as Ajax slashed at him with his claws. Garrick recovered, only to find Ajax behind him, bringing around a roundhouse kick.

Garrick was sent tumbling through the dirt. Yet even as he slowed to a halt, he rose to his feet. Ajax pivoted on his feet, claws and fangs bared. "What's the matter, mortal?! Can't you keep up?!"