Chapter 18

Not edited. Sorry if there are mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~

I was sitting on a chair besides the sleeping Veronica. I gripped her hand tightly in mine and I smiled at her. I heard the door close and I looked over to see Luke giving me a weak smile as he held up a small paper bag and a cup of coffee. I turned my head away and looked back at Veronica. "I know you're upset, but you can't stay mad at me forever," Luke said as he pulled out a chair and sat down next to me.

"Here, I brought you a blueberry muffin and some coffee," he said as he held them out in my face. I turned my head way and I heard him sigh. "At least eat," he sat as I heard him peel the paper off the muffin. He held it up to my mouth and I couldn't resist. My stomach was growling violently and I took a bite of the muffin. He chuckled and then pulled me in his arms suddenly.

I gasped, startled by his sudden action. "L-Luke!" I said as I tried pulling away, but his arms tightened around me. I wiggled around, trying to break free, but man he was strong like the hulk right now. "Let go of me!" I demanded as I turned to face him. "If you give me a kiss," he said as a playful smirk spread across his face. I sighed as I turned away. I can't stay mad at him forever, but it's so hard because I want to.

Then, I thought it over.

I only have two days left to use two wishes. If I stay mad at him, how are we supposed to work together?

I sighed as I turned back to face him. "You forgive me?" He asked me as he gave me a puppy face. I chuckled as I slid my arms around his neck. "I can't stay mad at you even though I wanted to," I mumbled as I pecked his lips.

"Take it somewhere else." I turned to see Veronica wide awake and I smiled at her. "Well, it would've been better if you were still asleep. But hey, I'm glad your awake," I said as I pulled away from Luke. "When we get home, we're watching Mulan," I told her and she chuckled. "Alright, I'm looking forward to it," she responded and I nodded.

"Let's get going," Luke said as he tugged on my hand.

I shook my head and Veronica sighed. "Listen to your man. I'm fine," she insisted and I took in a deep breath. "Ugh, alright," I said as I gave her a small hug and walked out the room. Luke followed me as I headed outside, towards the car. "Luke, I have my ninth wish," I said as I turned around to face him. "What... What is it?" He asked me quietly.

"I wish... For Veronica to be let out already."

"Think this over Brittney. You have two wishes left and you're just throwing them like pennies in a fountain. Veronica will be fine, she'll be let out tomorrow. Just wait. I don't want you to use all your wishes, because once they're gone..." He paused and narrowed his eyes. They were filled with worry and pain.

"I'll be too," he finished and I let out a breath. I instinctively wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close to me.

*  *  *

"'When will my reflection show,'" Veronica and I sang along to the song in Mulan.

"Horrible singing. By the way, I got you something," Travis said as he walked in the living room. "What is it?" I asked him and he grinned. He was hiding some behind his back and I stood up and approached him. "Ta da!" He said as he held out a book. "Nuh uh... Are you serious? Thank you!" I threw my arms around him and he chuckled as he wrapped his arms around me in return.

He got me book number one of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Those books bring back so much memories as when I was around 15. My dad used to take me to the Library a lot to get homework done and he picked out the first book from the shelf and insisted that I read it. So I did, turned out that I fell in love with the first book. So I waited year after year for Lemony Snicket to publish the next book in the series. In 2006 he wrote the last book in the series and I was sad to see it ended. But, they were great books to begin with.