Chapter 11

Not edited. Don't forget to vote c:

~~~~~~~~~~

We sat there staring out onto the ocean. "I, um... I should get going," I whispered as I lifted my head off of his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. He nodded as he stood up and helped me up. I lost my footing and I fell backwards, but Luke wrapped his arms around me in time and pulled me towards him. I was breathing rapidly, as I was still terrified. "It's okay..." He whispered as he pulled me closer into an embrace. He patted my back gently and I began to calm down.

"Let's go back," I said to him. "Okay," he answered back.

We suddenly appeared right back at Mary's driveway, next to my car. "Thank you... For taking me to your world," I told him and he shrugged his shoulders. "No problem. Goodnight," he said and he disappeared before I can even say anything else. I sighed as I got into my car.

When I arrived at my house, it was dark inside and it was quiet. It was already midnight and I could hear my mother's soft breathing. I quietly took my shoes off and placed my purse and keys on the kitchen table. I tiptoed to my bedroom and I closed the door behind me. I let out a big breath that I didn't know that I was holding. I threw myself onto my bed and I stared at the ceiling.

Thoughts of Luke lingered in my mind. Suddenly, I began thinking of that woman he was with. He said that it was only business matters, but I can't help but think that it wasn't. What if she was a genie as well? To think that Luke has someone else pains my heart. I closed my eyes and began drifting off. Before I fell asleep, I swear I saw a figure sitting on my bed.

*  *  *

I was at airport with my mother. Today was the day where she was going back. "Thanks Mom, for coming down," I said as I hugged her. "You're welcome sweetie, next time, come and visit us." I nodded as she hugged me back. "I'll miss your cooking," I said as I smiled and she chuckled. "That's why. Come and visit me and I'll cook for you for breakfast, lunch and dinner."

"I will," I said and she smiled at me.

She grabbed her suitcase and began walking on the plane. Tears formed in my eyes and I sighed. I think I got a little attached with the few days she's been here. But, after all, she is my mother. No matter how many times we argue or how long we go without talking to each other, I love her.

I walked out of the airport and into the parking lot to my car. I got in my car and I took a deep breath as I started my car. I drove back home and as soon as I walked in, loneliness smacked me right in the face. My house empty and it was just me again. I went to the living room and sat down on the couch. It was only until I realized that I really am alone.

Next week I'm turning 29 and I'm still alone. Now I get why my mom tells me to find a man. I sighed as I turned on the TV. The News was on and the reporter stood there with the same family standing there. Except this time, the little girl was there. "Lola has been found! The police and their search dogs have traced down the scent and the kidnapper has been found. He has been found guilty and is now in jail. Lola has been safely returned to her parents," the reporter said as she held the microphone to the dad.

"Thank you so so much! I didn't know what I would do without Lola," he said as tears of joys rolled down his cheeks. "That man can rot in jail! I'm just happy I can have my Lola back!" She also had tears of joy as she smiled into the camera. I smiled back as I stared at the family. I'm really glad they can be reunited again. I don't care if it was because of my wish, I want them to be happy again.

"Happy?" A voice asked and I turned to see another man. I gasped in shock, "Who are you?" I asked and the man grinned as he moved closer to me. "I'm Luke's coworker. I'm also a genie, but I came to give you a warning." He leaned in closer to me, "Luke has been getting in trouble lately by the master. First, he takes a woman to our world and then he begins falling in love with one? That is nonsense! Luke knows better, but I figured that human was you. So I came to tell you to hurry up with your damn wishes so Luke can be assigned to a new human," he said to me.

It was scary the way his eyes glared and I felt as if he was growling like a wolf. I gulped and nodded nervously. "Thanks," his lips turned into a grin and then he disappeared. I let out a breath and turned back to the TV. I should have never gotten involved with a genie. I turned the TV off and I stood up and went to my room. I got ready and decided to go to work.

When I arrived there, police were surrounding over. I felt my back stiffen as I got out of my car. A police officer approached me, "Who are you?" He asked me and I gulped. "I'm Brittney Reynolds," I said and he nodded. He turned to his walkie talkie, "I got Brittney Reynolds with me."

"Stay here, we need to take you back to the station and question you," he said as he turned and walked off to the other police officers. I saw Xavier in the back of one of the cars and he looked at me with a dirty look. I saw Alice in there too and my eyes widened in shock. "Hey," I heard and I turned to see Luke standing there. "O-Oh, hi. What's going on?" I asked him and he took a deep breath. "I kind of got them arrested," he said as he looked away.

I smiled slightly and then I just remembered what the other genie said. "T-Thank you," I said and I turned to walk away. Luke grabbed my wrist and yanked me to him. "Uh, L-Luke, I need to go," I said as I tried pulling away but his grip was too strong. "Aren't you happy?" He asked me and I stopped pulling and looked at him. "I-I'm grateful, okay? Just please, let me go," I said to him and he sighed as he released his grip. I walked away again and a police officer walked up to me.

"We need to take you to the police station, okay?" He said as he lightly placed his hand on my shoulder. I nodded as he walked me over to his car and I was able to sit in the passenger seat. We drove off and I watched Luke as he stood there looking around. I looked away and smiled sadly. It's for the best... I'll hurry with my wishes.

We got to the police station and they took me to a small room. I was sitting on a chair at a desk and another man came in and sat down on the opposite side of my chair and opened up a laptop. "Okay tell me who you are, how old you are and where you were born," he said and I nodded. "I'm Brittney Reynolds, I'm 28 years old and I was born in Mississippi," I said and the man began typing at his laptop.

"Alright, tell me what you know about Xavier," he said.

"I don't know much, but I only know he was 34 years old and he was a CEO of Trina's And Tenny's."

He nodded as he began typing more. "Did you know that he worked and was involved with gangs?" He asked me and I shook my head. "I never knew that, until recently, when I overheard him talking to some thugs."

The man nodded again and he typed some more. "Now, tell me, were you involved in the crime?" He asked me as he looked me in the eyes. "I didn't help him, but I was involved. I was the target he sent those men to go after," I said nervously. I felt cold sweat covering my back and my palms grew sweaty. He typed, "How come you never reported this to us?" He asked and I took a deep breath.

"I-I'm sorry... It's just that, I didn't have enough proof and I felt that if I told you, I would just get hurt more. I'm really sorry, I was scared," my voice trembled and the man nodded as he typed more. "We understand, but if you have any more situations like this, please report it to us. You don't have to fear no more, this has all been taken care of."

"What about Alice?" I asked.

"She still has to go to court," he said and I nodded.

*  *  *

I was back at home and I lied down on my couch staring at the TV. I was drifting off when I saw a man. It was the same scent as Luke's. I squinted a little and I made out some of Luke's face. Luke grabbed me and picked me up in his arms, bridal style and he carried me into my room. He gently placed me on my bed. "Luke..." I whispered and he moved closer to my face.  "Hm?" He responded and he put his hand on the side of my face.

I closed my eyes. "I'm not good for you... I'll only hurt you," I whispered. I heard silence and then I felt Luke crawl onto the other side of the bed. He wrapped an arm around my waist and I felt his face bury into my neck. "Don't push me away," he said as his voice was muffled against my neck.