Chapter 5

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to vote, comment and follow! Umm, not edited. Cx

~~~~~~~~~~

I was called into Xavier's office. "Yes?" I opened his door slowly and walked in, closing the door behind me. "I was just wondering, how are you feeling?" He asked as he walked over to me. "I'm fine..." I barely remember Luke called me in sick. "Um, I just stayed home... Took medicine... Stayed in bed..." I let out a nervous chuckle, hoping he believed me.

"Well I'm glad you're better. Now, it's time for you to give me your designs." He gave me a now-get-back-to-work smile. I nodded and walked out of his office. "Britt!" Mary came running to me and she hugged me. "It was so awkward to hang out with Jack and Alice. He sticks like glue," she sighed and I nodded slowly. "I still don't really know who Jack is," I said and she tilted her head at me. "Girl, he's your ex Alice seduced!"

I put a hand on my head, "Luke said I fell down yesterday and hit my head. I lost a bit of my memory then."

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" She asked and I nodded. "Well, I'm glad you found Luke." She smiled and I bit my bottom lip. "Uhh... We're not really together together," I said as I clashed my fingers together. "Why not? He's perfect for you," she said and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Maybe she's still in love with Jack," Alice butted in as she walked up to us. Her bright red lipstick made me so irritated, I wanted to wipe it right off of her lips. Her lips spread into a smirk. "What? Am I right?" She asked as her eyes peered into mine.

"I don't know who Jack is, but... I want no relationship with any man."

She scoffed and turned to Mary. "You keep her away from Jack. He's mine," she said and she turned to walk away, holding her clutch in both hands. "I just want to chop off those heels," Mary said as she held up a fist. I laughed, "Don't worry about her. She's a little way over her head. Jack will probably cheat on her."

Mary nodded and then she grinned. "What?" I asked and she shook her head. "I thought of something, but I'll tell you later."

I grabbed her arm, "You still haven't told me how you convinced the janitor," I told her and she sighed. "I just set him up on a date with one of my friends." I nodded and then she laughed. "Which is weird because I think my friend is a prostitute, so that janitor probably had fun," she said and I laughed. "Hey, your friend probably had fun too." She laughed and nodded, "I'm sure she did. Anyways, you up for lunch? There's this new place that just opened!" She squealed in excitement and I nodded.

Jack was walking down the hallway with papers in his hand. He seemed to be in a rush and Mary smirked. She flipped out her phone and called someone. "Yeah, jerk-turd is in the hallway, I repeat, jerk-turd is coming your way." She hung up and looked at me. "What did you do?" I asked in a demanding tone. She smiled one of her innocent smiles. "You'll find out soon," she whispered.

"Revenge seems to be your thing," I said as I finally believed it. "You finally noticed," she said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Now let's get out of here!" She whispered loudly and I rushed to my office and grabbed my purse and turned the lights off. I locked the door and ran down the hallway with Mary and we got in the elevator. "You are such a kid," I said to Mary as I smoothed down my jacket. "At least I have fun," she said as she grinned. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

*  *  *

I was at the bar with Mary and a couple other coworkers. Mary was hammered and I had to stay at least, a thousand feet away from her. I really hope she doesn't get pregnant. "Mmm, cutie," a voice behind me said and I turned around to see an older man. He was obviously drunk and he tried taking another step towards me, but he stumbled.

I really wanted to get home, but I carpooled with Mary. I decided to go outside, I felt cramped inside. I got outside and I breathed in a deep breath of fresh air.

"Well well well..." A man said and three other men were behind him. He had a baseball bat in his hand and he was patting it against his hand. "You're Brittney Reynolds right? Someone hired us to take care of this problem," he said as his flicked up and down. "Um, I'm..." I paused and then I started to run. They chased after me and I ended up crossing the street on a green light.

I gasped as I saw bright headlights. Then, a group of arms wrapped around me and I closed my eyes shut.

The next thing I know, I was on the floor of my living room. I turned to my side and I saw Luke there with his eyes closed. He looked like he was in pain. I gently touched his shoulder and he opened his eyes slowly. "You're okay..." He whispered and I nodded. "What... What happened?" I asked and he tried sitting up and I helped him.

"I... I guess I saved you," he said as he let out a chuckle of relief. "How...?" I asked.

"Genies have power... Well, I sorta teleported us to your house."

"You...? You can do that?"

He nodded and I smiled. "Thanks..." I hugged him and he hugged me back. He was really starting to get used to the hugging thing. "I was really hoping to get a fourth wish out of you," he said as he smirked and I smacked his arm. "Well, why didn't you just leave me there?" I asked him and he shrugged his shoulders. "I honestly don't know... I guess it was an action based on instinct."

"So you're instinct was to protect me...?"

"Not necessarily, but if that's how you want to think of it, then sure."

I sighed in relief and I lied back down on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. "You're amazing Luke," I said and he leaned down to look at me. "Amazing how?"

"I mean, you can do all this stuff. It's pretty awesome and it's just... It's so cool and I really, really thank you for saving me. I thought that was the end right there for me. I never thought genies can do that. I thought they were some flying ghost that only came from a lamp and only granted three wishes."

"Like that movie you showed me, which offended me." He grinned and I laughed. "Yes, kind of like that movie. And, I never thought they could look like a human and be cute." The "cute" part kind of slipped out of my mouth and I froze as I covered my mouth with both of my hands.

His eyes widened and then he grinned. He leaned down closer and he stared into my eyes. "Cute, huh? Well, I never thought that would come out of a human's mouth. You really are a strange one, Brittney Reynolds."

I swear I thought he was going to kiss me, but then I thought again. Why would a genie kiss a human? That makes no sense. He got so close to my face, but then he pulled away. "I should go, my boss needs me," he said quickly and I nodded as I sat up. He stood to his feet and helped me up. "Anyways, thanks again," I said and he nodded. "No problem, don't forget to think about you're fourth wish. You only have four more weeks left to make all of your ten wishes."

"What happens if I don't wish them all in time?"

He remained quiet and he looked at me. "I... I am not in the correct place to tell you, I must go," he whispered and I nodded. He disappeared and I let out a breath and headed to my room. I lied down on my bed and I stared at the ceiling fan. Luke kept crawling in my mind and no matter how many times I would try to take him out, the thought of him always lingered.

Why am I thinking of a genie? Like seriously, what is wrong with me? It's just weird to think of him and I'm laying here thinking about him. Just get him out of my head.

But... The way he was so close...

I sighed and closed my eyes. Then, my eyes opened again as I thought of those men with the baseball bats. It gave me the goosebumps to think of them and I needed to know who hired them.

Who could it be?