41. This Is Goodbye

Robert and Sarah returned to the Quarry with a coffin and a heavy chain. Sarah stopped beside Alex and James, who were still holding onto one another. Sarah knelt down beside them, wrapped her arms around them, and squeezed them. Alex felt fresh tears fill her eyes, and she wanted to beg for Sarah's forgiveness. She was losing her brother because Alex had been so desperate to save Elena and stop Klaus. But Alex couldn't find the words to speak.

Robert carried the chain over to Klaus and held out his hand. He mumbled a few words before the chain started to wrap itself around Klaus, binding him so that if he did get a drop of blood, he wouldn't be free instantly. He then opened the coffin and, with a wave of his hand, lifted Klaus and laid him down in the box.

Klaus' furious eyes glared at them as he looked up. Alex felt the joy of victory over the monster that had tortured them all, but she couldn't enjoy it properly. Knowing that James would be dead before the sun would rise took away that mood to celebrate.

Robert closed the lid of Klaus' coffin and said, "What do you want to do with him?"

Alex wiped her face and pushed herself to stand. She left James' embrace and held out her hand. She waved her hand over her other hand, and a small line cut through her skin. Alex smeared her blood across the coffin and said, "Sigillum."

No one would be able to open the coffin unless they had her blood or the blood of someone who shared her bloodline.

"I will keep him hidden until I can either kill him," said Alex.

Sarah pulled her phone from her pocket and said, "I think I know the perfect spot."

Alex looked at her, intrigued.

"Elijah's witch friend, Jonas. He was looking for that sight of those dead witches," said Sarah.

Alex nodded.

"I think I found it. It's an old abandoned house, supposedly haunted." Sarah smirked. "Probably by the witches who were burned on that spot. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help keep Klaus' body hidden."

"That's perfect," said Alex.

James patted Sarah on the head. "Well done, young one."

Sarah snorted and smacked his hand away. They all laughed as Sarah nudged him. "Stop it."

James smirked for a moment, but it faltered. He stumbled forward, Sarah and Alex catching him only just. They knelt down and sat down side by side. Robert placed his hands on James' shoulder as Alex and Sarah held a hand each.

James said, "I think it might be my time." His voice shook.

Alex leant her head on his shoulder. "There's no rush."

James smiled. "I love you all."

Sarah hiccuped as she started to cry and buried her head into James' side. Alex reached for her with her free hand and glanced up at the sky. The black had given way to the lightest of blues as the sun started to peek over the horizon. More colours were starting to show, and Alex would almost think the moment was perfect, except that James' body stilled as he took his last breath.

*

*

*

It took the group a moment to move. They laid James down on the ground, and each took a moment to say their final goodbye. Alex stepped away as Sarah pressed a kiss to her brother's forehead and looked out over the Quarry.

Robert stepped up beside her and laid his arm over her shoulders. "It's a new day," he said.

Alex nodded. "A day I didn't think I'd see."