6. Kidnapped

"I know you," said Katherine, her head turning to one side.

Alex scoffed. "Unfortunately, you do."

"Katherine's in the tomb?" asked James.

Alex kept her eyes on the vampire before clearing her throat. "Yeah," she said, "I'll call you back." Alex disconnected the call and put her phone back into her pocket. "I'll admit," she said to Katherine, "I didn't expect to find you in here."

Katherine's jaw clenched, and she leant against the wall, her hand pressing up against the invisible barrier. "I put my trust in the wrong person."

Alex laughed. "Trust, or did your fear tactics turn against you?"

The flash in Katherine's eyes just made Alex laugh even more.

"Did that pretty blonde boy survive?" asked Katherine. Her face twisting into a sickening sadistic smirk.

Alex's laughter died. "He's perfectly fine."

She sighed. "Shame, I was hoping he'd die in your arms."

"If you want to kill a witch, you should just do it. Don't let them bleed out."

Katherine nodded. "Next time."

"There won't be a next time."

"Is that so?"

"You know, I didn't think you'd be so easy to track down. It's rather disappointing that I found you all locked up."

"Why did you come here if you weren't looking for me?"

"I was looking for the moonstone; figured a big empty tomb would be a great hiding spot."

Katherine bent down and picked up a white rock. She wiggled it at Alex. "Let me go, and it's all yours."

Alex laughed.

She focused on Katherine and enjoyed the look as agonising pain broke out across her face. Katherine dropped the moonstone and stumbled backwards. Breaking her torture on Katherine, she called the moonstone towards it. It shot into her hand, and Katherine lay on the ground panting.

"Now, what are you going to offer me?" Alex asked. More to mock the vampire than anything else.

"Why would you want the moonstone?" asked Katherine.

"To keep Elena safe."

"Why would you care about the doppelganger?"

"She's my little sister."

The surprise on Katherine's face was enough to bring Alex more laughter. This vampire who was supposedly cruel, terrifying and selfish was getting more and more pathetic.

"I am going to keep the moonstone from Klaus and find a way to kill him once and for all. Then Elena can live her life without ever having to be sacrificed on an altar."

Katherine shook her head. "He will kill you and everyone you and Elena love if you try and stop him."

Alex took a step towards Katherine, standing toe against the barrier. "The difference between you and I, Katherine, is that I'm not afraid to die. I'm not a coward."

Katherine raced at the barrier by merely slammed against it.

Shaking her head, Alex stepped back. "I think we wasted enough time. Goodbye, Katherine."

Alex opened her bag and pulled out her water bottle. She unscrewed the cap before throwing water towards Katherine; it splashed on her legs and dress.