9. Road Trip

Spending time with Katherine Pierce wasn't exactly ideal. Alex had bound them together to keep Katherine from running, but the vampire was determined to make every moment painful for Alex. Stefan had agreed to go with Alex to find Mikael; he could keep Katherine somewhat in line, even if it was only to keep her distracted from annoying Alex. But there was one person they were waiting for.

James had promised to jump on the next flight, and he had. Alex knew he wasn't alone; he had sent Alex a message to tell her that Sarah and Robert were coming with him. Sarah was James' younger sister; she was a great witch but tended to get herself in a little trouble. Robert was a witch that both James and Alex had worked with a lot; he was smart, a genuinely nice person, and would do whatever was needed to help. It was three people that Alex could trust, and they would help her deal with everything.

James was meeting Alex on the side of the main road the lead into Mystic Falls. Sarah and Robert were taking another route and would catch up with them later. Sarah and Robert's job was to keep an eye on everyone while Alex left town to find Mikael.

Alex leant against the hoof of the rental car that she had been driving. Katherine was laid across the back seat and hadn't stopped moaning about how bored she was. Alex was about ready to break the vampire's neck and stuff her in the trunk. Stefan had walked away from them to call Elena; he had no intention of leaving town without giving her a small headups. Stefan had mentioned something about lying, but Alex didn't see what they were doing as lying. She was doing what she said she would do, find a way to keep Elena safe.

Still, Alex wasn't surprised that when Stefan turned to head back towards the car that a text came through on her phone.

Stefan said, you found a way to kill Klaus.

Alex sighed. She sent; Maybe. Katherine talks a lot.

Will you be back for dinner? Jenna wants to know.

I'll try. I'll let you know if it takes any longer.

Stay safe.

I will.

Alex hoped that it wouldn't take long. The sooner she was rid of Katherine, the better.

"How much longer?" groaned Katherine.

Alex rolled her eyes and ignored her.

"I'm seriously the boredest I have ever been."

Alex glanced at the time on her watch and then up at the road. James should be too much longer.

"Elena told me to tell you that she doesn't want us to take any unnecessary risks," said Stefan. He stopped by the car and placed his hand on the roof.

"I somehow think what I feel is unnecessary, and what Elena thinks is unnecessary is very different," said Alex.

"You know what is unnecessary?" Katherine sat up and stuck her head out of the car window. "Standing around. What are we waiting for?"

Alex glared at her. "I will seal your mouth shut if you don't stop talking."

A soft honk sounded from a black SUV coming down the road. Alex's mood instantly improved as she noticed James sitting behind the wheel. She pushed off the car and stepped toward him.

James pulled the car over and climbed out, a wide smile on his face. "You are a sight for sore eyes."

Alex laughed. "It's been two days."

James shrugged. "Two days too long."

They met in the middle, and James didn't hesitate to kiss her. His hands coming up to cup her cheeks, his thumb gently stroking the skin beneath. Alex's heart fluttered slightly at the sweet touch, her own hands reaching up to hold onto his wrists.