12. A Witches Journey

The next morning, Alex sat on the front porch. She was the first to wake up and found herself wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep. But her mind was wide awake, and she was restless. So she got up and made coffee. Alex had finished her first cup while standing in the kitchen before walking outside and taking a seat on the front steps. She watched as the street woke up; people went out running, headed off to work, collected the paper. A few faces that she remembered from her teens waved as they passed by; she was polite and offered them a smile but stayed where she was.

Alex's coffee was running low when she heard the first signs of life inside. Most likely Jenna, but Alex still stayed out on the front porch. It wasn't too long later that a car pulled up.

Bonnie climbed out of the car with a determined look on her face. Against her chest, she held an old book; Alex smiled; she had her grimoire.

Swallowing the last mouthful of coffee, Alex said, "Good morning."

Bonnie stopped a few steps away. "Hi."

Alex smiled warmly. She had nothing against Bonnie; if anything, she would have liked them to work together. "Do I frighten you?" she asked.

Bonnie shook her head. "No, but I don't trust your intentions."

"Why?" Alex put the empty cup down beside her.

"You locked everyone out of the house. It seems like you are isolating Elena from her friends," she explained.

Alex nodded, understanding how it could appear that way. "I suppose that could be one explanation, but what I was actually doing was making it so no unwanted visitor could get inside."

"But no one can get in, not just vampires. I couldn't get in, Matt couldn't."

"You can now." Alex stood and picked up the cup. "I had the house spelled to make sure that no one could trick their way inside. Even if a vampire compels Jenna, Jeremy or Elena to invite them in, they won't get in. Only those who I allow through can get inside."

"Who you allow?" Bonnie asked.

Alex said, "Who I allow. At the moment, that consists of myself, Elena, Jeremy, Jenna, yourself, Matt, Caroline, Stefan and Alaric Saltzman—who I have yet to meet, but Elena insisted."

"Not Damon?"

Alex frowned. "No. He's too impulsive; he might do something stupid."

Bonnie seemed frozen while she took it in.

"Why don't you come in and have breakfast? You can ask me anything you like over pancakes." Alex moved towards the door, pausing to wait as Bonnie made her choice.

Inside, Jenna was drinking coffee and reading over a paper at the dining table. She smiled at Bonnie and Alex as they walked in.

"Morning," she said.

"Good morning, Jenna," said Bonnie.

"Nice to see you can come in again," said Jenna.

Alex sent a small frown at her Aunt. "I was always going to let Bonnie back in."

Jenna shrugged. "I wasn't judging."

"No, just stirring." Alex moved into the kitchen and started to pull out what she would need for pancakes.

Bonnie took a seat at the kitchen island and placed down her grimoire.

"I wasn't joking about the questions; you can ask me anything," said Alex.

"How did you find out you were a witch?" she asked.

Alex said, "I set fire to my bed, exploded a few windows."