18. Extended Family

John Gilbert was the Uncle that nobody got along with. Alex couldn't recall any fond memories of him from her childhood and hadn't seen him since her parents funeral. He had hardly spoken to them, only appearing a few days before the funeral and then leaving after it was over. What Alex could remember about him was that he always caused tension with Grayson and Miranda. Alex remembered arguments and yelling. All of which would cease the moment any of the kids showed up. But John was never around much anyway.

And now, here he was. Standing before her, a pleased look on his face. She had no idea what he wanted or why he was here, but she had no intention of letting him inside.

"It's been a while," said John.

"Not long enough."

"When did you get back into town?"

"Why does that matter to you?"

"Just curious."

"Why are you here?"

"I have my reasons—is Elena home?"

"Yes."

"Wonderful." John stepped up the porch to walk past Alex and inside.

It gave Alex great satisfaction when he opened the door but was unable to cross the threshold.

"What the?"

Alex smirked and stepped around John as he took a step back. She stepped across the threshold and into the house.

"How?"

"There is so much that you don't know, John." Alex tilted her head to the side and smiled.

"Alex, what's going on?" Elena's voice floated from downstairs.

"We have an unwanted visitor," said Alex.

Elena came down the stairs, dressed in her pyjamas; she frowned when she spotted John. "Why are you here?"

John sighed. "Is it wrong for a father to want to spend time with his daughter?"

Alex's stomach twisted. "Excuse you?"

Elena sighed.

"I'm Elena's biological father," said John. His own satisfied smirk appearing.

"Seriously?"

Elena nodded. "Unfortunately. But nothing has changed, John; no one wants you here."

John pressed his hand against the barrier. "Evidently. Is this barrier your friends doing?"

Alex said, "No. It was my doing. Had to keep the riff-raff out."

"You're a witch?"

"That I am. So, if you will excuse us, we have better things to do than talk to you." Alex grabbed the door and swung it closed in John's face, letting out a sigh as she did.

Elena scratched the back of her head and turned towards the kitchen.

Alex followed after her and asked, "How come you never mentioned that John was your father?"

Elena cringed. "Because I don't consider him my father. I don't even consider him family."

"How'd you find out?"

"It just kind of spilt out, and when I asked him, he didn't deny it." Elena grabbed the kettle and filled it with water. "And I have tried to forget about it ever since."

Alex leant against the counter and placed her families grimoire in front of her.

"What's that?" asked Elena.