37. It Was Never A Choice

The picnic area was open and green. A few picnic benches were spread out around the open space, the large trees creating a nice patch of shade to hide beneath if the sun was too hot. The falls were louder than before, and you could see them through the line of trees, the water falling into the river below that ran together down past the spot.

It was a beautiful place, one that Alex could remember visiting with her parents. She had only been about eight or nine at the time, Elena and Jeremy were so young, but she remembered laughter and playing in the water with her dad.

But there wasn't going to be laughter this time.

As Alex stepped away from the path, she saw Renee. She was casually leaning against one of the picnic benches, her ankles crossed and a pleased smile on her face. The best way to describe her expression was one of victory. Jeremy was seated near Renee, at the foot of one of the tall pines, his mouth was gagged, and his hands and feet were bound. He didn't look scared; he looked pissed.

Renee noticed Alex and pushed away from the bench to stand directly between Alex and Jeremy. She said, "I do love it when you follow orders."

"Give me my brother," said Alex.

"He's all yours. But first, I'll take the moonstone."

"I don't have it."

"Then you don't get Jeremy back."

"That's where you are wrong. I'm taking Jeremy home, and you and I are done. I never want to see or hear from you or the Council again."

"You think that's it? That you just get to walk away from the Council?" Renee laughed. "No one just walks away. The only way you are ever free from us is if you die."

"From what I understand, my Grandmother had no trouble walking away. Once she found out how sick and twisted you all are, she spent her life trying to help those you destroyed."

"You think we just let her go? Nadia was as naive and reckless as you. She thought she was capable of things that made her better than the rest of us. And I used to believe her. When she was made my mentor, I was so excited. Nadia was one of the best witches around, and her bloodline, the Ravenwood's, were Council royalty. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. Up until she turned her back on us, and she abandoned me."

"Nadia was your mentor?"

"Yep. For four years, I studied under her and pushed myself to my breaking point because I wanted to show her how good I was. And that she told me that it was for nothing. That everything the Council believed, everything she had taught me, was a lie. And then she was gone."

"She left because the Elders were draining magic from witches."

"Yes, witches who had betrayed their own kind, witches who didn't deserve to have such abilities. Why would we let those who allow such abominations to walk to earth indulge in such wonder? Their magic is given to those who deserve it."

"You mean to those in power, to keep themselves in power."

Renee smirked. "I won't deny that the Elders have given themselves strength, but leaders need that strength to lead."

"You are all insane. Corrupted by power."

"No. Not corrupted. Enlightened. I wasn't sure when I first learned about the syphoning; I didn't understand the benefits. But when I felt Nadia's magic rush into me and mix with my own, it was like nothing I could ever imagine."

"They gave you Nadia's magic?"

Renee smile turned dark. A sick twisted look of pleasure made Alex feel sick.