25. Family Heirlooms

Bonnie agreed to meet Elena and Alex at the Grill. As they drove over, Alex sent James a text message – not being able to bring herself to call him – and explained the plan. She had let out an internal groan of relief when James had responded with a simple 'got it' and hadn't tried to call her. There was a conversation they needed to have, and Alex knew she wasn't ready for that yet. And while it wasn't fair what Alex had done, she wanted to explain herself to James, which meant knowing how she felt. And since she had no idea what to think about James or Elijah, she would focus on what she did know.

The Grill wasn't overly busy when Elena and Alex walked in. Bonnie was sitting at a booth on her own, smiling brightly as she typed on her phone. They crossed the room to join her, and as they sat down, Bonnie asked, "Hey, what was with the urgent meetup?"

Alex had agreed to let Elena explain it. Alex knew that Bonnie's mother had left without a word, but according to Elena, it was a delicate subject with her best friend. Alex agreed it would be easier to hear from someone who Bonnie loved that they would need to track down the woman that abandoned her.

"Alex found a way we could stop Klaus," said Elena.

Bonnie's eyes widened. "Seriously?"

Alex nodded. "Yep. It won't kill him, but it will stop him."

"Okay?"

Elena sighed. "Alex wants to desiccate him."

Bonnie said, "Isn't that what happened to Mikael?"

"Yeah. A witch used a spell to dry up every ounce of blood in his body instantly. He starved within seconds. If we do that to Klaus, he would be nothing by a dried corpse, essentially," explained Alex.

"So you would have the time to find a way to kill him?" said Bonnie.

"Yeah. Mikael could stake him, or if for any reason that becomes impossible, we can look for another way," said Alex.

"Alright, I'm in. What do you need from me?" she asked.

Elena shifted in her seat awkwardly. She said, "We need your help to find the spell."

"I don't have any books that have something like that."

"No, the spell isn't in a book. Alex spoke to Mikael, and the witch that desiccated him was your mum." Elena looked like she was in physical pain as she finished.

Bonnie's face dropped. Her jaw clenched, and her eyes drooped. Alex had never seen her look so broken before. She swallowed and looked down at her lap.

"Are you okay?" asked Elena.

Bonnie nodded. "Yeah."

Alex said, "I only need your blood to locate her. You don't have to come with me to get the spell."

Bonnie grabbed her phone and unlocked it. She said, "You don't need my blood."

Alex and Elena glanced at each other and frowned.

"Once I learned how to do a locator spell, I tried it to see if I could find her." Bonnie placed her phone on the table and slid it across to Alex. "She's in North Carolina."

Elena reached out her hand to comfort Bonnie.

"She stayed close to where she put Mikael," said Alex. "Makes sense. If she put him down, she'd want to keep a close eye to make sure he didn't get woken up."

"So then why did she let you wake him up?" asked Elena.

Alex shrugged. "She might not have realised until it was too late. Or something could have happened to her magic."