Chapter Thirteen: Warriors and Tunnels

I pounced on a plump mouse. I buried the mouse in an area where a squirrel and a mouse lay. I just need one more piece of fresh kill!

     I sniffed the air and crept towards a beech tree. A rabbit was searching for something to eat. Stay right there! I crept behind it and bit into its neck cleanly.

     "Great job! Now time for pair hunting," Graystripe congratulated when he stepped out of the bushes. 

     Brightheart came out of the foliage and dipped her head.

     "Where are we going to hunt?" She asked.

     "Why don't we hunt near the lake border?" I suggested.

     "Sounds like a plan," Brightheart nodded and said, "What prey will we be hunting?"

     "Mice. Lets go," I answered.

     We headed towards the lake and spotted some mice. I flicked my tail to signal that Brightheart can hunt the first mouse.

     Brightheart crouched into a hunting position. A mouse came by, unaware of Brightheart's movements. She pounced on the mouse and padded quietly towards me. She placed the mouse in a shaded area and looked at me.

     "Your turn," She whispered.

     I nodded in agreement and sniffed the air. There was a plump thrush in sight. I crouched, stalked it quietly, and then killed it with a nip to it's neck.

     "Great. Let's go back to camp and report this to Graystripe and Thornclaw," Brightheart suggested to me.

     Both of us walked back to camp with our prey. We were halfway there when Graystripe and Thornclaw caught up to us.

     "Nicely done," Thornclaw commented.

     We all walked back to camp went Graystripe said, "We should wait for the others."

     I placed all of the prey that I had caught and Brightheart placed the two mice that we caught in the fresh-kill pile. Dovepaw and Ivypaw were back with Lionblaze, Spiderleg, Icecloud, Cinderheart, Sandstorm, and Blossomfall. Why is Icecloud limping? They were followed by Firestar, Jayfeather, and Brambleclaw.

     I walked to Dovepaw and Ivypaw.

     "What happened?" I asked.

     "Icecloud and I were hunting and when Icecloud was walking, her paw-steps were... echoing," Dovepaw shivered.

     "All of that happened during our warrior assessment," Ivypaw sighed.

     "Lionblaze looked so distant," Dovepaw said.

     I looked at Lionblaze who was talking to the others about the tunnel incident. I'm so sorry Hollyleaf, He thought.

     I searched his memory.

     "Hollyleaf!" Lionblaze yowled.

     "Come back!" Jayefeather ran along with Lionblaze to catch Hollyleaf.

     "I did it!" Hollyleaf stopped running and whirled towards them with sadness shadowing her green eyes.

     "You killed Ashfur?" Lionblaze asked, shocked.

     "Why?" Jayfeather asked.

     "He could have told the clans and have us kicked out of Thunderclan!" Hollyleaf exclaimed.