Chapter Five: The Battle With the Beavers

A cold breeze blew at my fur. I shivered. Some day to fight the beavers! I thought sarcastically. I yawned and stretched and walked out of the shadows of the tree. The sun was half hidden behind the white puffy clouds. Everyone was up and Foxleap was pacing
back and forth.

     I entered his mind. What if those animals injure one of us too badly that we can't go on? What if we don't free the water in time? Questions buzzed in Foxleap's head as he was pacing.

     "Are you okay Foxleap?" I asked.

     "Uh yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" Foxleap snorted.

     "You just look nervous, that's all," I said quietly. Foxleap avoided my gaze, embarrassed.

     "Are we ready?" Applefur asked Lionblaze.

     "We should hunt first and then investigate the dam," Lionblaze said.

     Breezepelt narrowed his eyes into little slits and growled lowly.

     What happened to Breezepelt? I felt confused. I shrugged off the thought and sniffed the air for prey. A sweet tang of squirrel hit my nose. I crept as silently as I could and spotted the squrriel feasting on an acorn.

     I was lucky that I was downwind or the squirrel would smell me, but something scared off the prey and it ran up a tree. Mouse dung!

     A brown tom came out of the bushes. I let out a yelp of surprise. I unsheathed my claws and the loner backed away.

     "Whoa whoa whoa. I didn't come to start a fight," The tom said.

     "Then why did you attack me?" I asked, claws still unsheathed.

     "I wanted to know if you n' those other cats are really wild cats. Normally other loners n' kittypets wouldn't attack right away. I guess Snowdrop, Seville, n' Jigsaw were right," The loner said.

     "What's your name?" I asked innocently.

     "Name's Woody. And you?" Woody introduced himself.

     "Redpaw," I answered.

      "Redpaw is a funny name but whatever," Woody shrugged.

     "I better get back to the others before they go out and look for me," I asked worriedly.

     "Wait. Aren't ya with the cats goin' to free the water from the beavers?" Woody asked, cocking his head.

     I nodded "How did you know?"

     "You 'n those wild cats aren't so quiet. I wouldn't go n' daydream around those beavers that if I were you. Beavers are strong animals," Woody warned.

     I said, "You can come with me and talk to Lionblaze about it if you want," I suggested.

     Woody nodded and they walked back to the base camp. Whitetail looked at Woody in surprise.

     "Who is this?" The white she-cat asked.

     "His names Woody," I answered.

     I turned to him and said, "These cats are from the Clans," I introduced them.

     He nodded and Lionblaze walked up to me and him.

     "Why are you here Woody?" He asked the brown loner.

     "I should ask be the same. You shouldn't go mess around with the beavers. Horrid creatures." Woody warned.

     "We must free the water if we want to save the clans," Lionblaze said to Woody.